Trusted Contributor

Re: Retailers' false accusations

I remain skeptical.
Do the math.
Honored Contributor

I have seen people steal things in stores and leave the store without being detained. I am not sure that is always the policy.
Valued Contributor

My best friend of 30 plus years is in loss prevention at Walmart. This is a fake story.  She told me about this a week ago.  

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

Is it possible that this story comes fron the New York Times website? 

@deepwaterdotter

?????    Why the NYT ?

An unsuccessful attempt at politicizing the thread.  I have seen it in other threads lately.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

@AuntMame wrote:

@NickNack wrote:

I find this hard to believe, too.  The stores detain shoplifters and call the police at the time the shoplifting occurs.  They don't show up at their home later with no proof.

This may be true but makes absolutely no sense.

In our town the police will not go to Wal-mart anymore for shoplifting calls because there are just too many and the police force isn't large enough for a squad to be constantly running to Wal-mart. And local prosecutors will not press charges against shoplifters if the amount stolen is under $1,500. I've heard this is the situation in many communities. This is why Wal-mart is resorting to hiring cheap lawyers to hound suspected shoplifters. 

A relative worked at Wal-mart and employers were not allowed to confront or detain shoplifters. Too much risk to employees. They were told the security cameras would record everything. 

@AuntMame

Well, if it's legal for the police to send you a traffic ticket along with the picture of you running a red light, at least they are providing proof.  It's called "caught in the act".

If Walmart (or anyone else) wants to send people threatening letters, accusing them of shoplifting, then include the video snapshot of the person stealing the merchandise!     How stupid.   

Honored Contributor

@mom2four0418 wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

Is it possible that this story comes fron the New York Times website? 

@deepwaterdotter

?????    Why the NYT ?

An unsuccessful attempt at politicizing the thread.  I have seen it in other threads lately.

@mom2four0418

Oh good grief ...   how ridiculous.

Honored Contributor

Exactly HOW did Walmart get the accused woman's ADDRESS ?????     This whole thing seems far fatched.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@feline groovy wrote:

Another example of greedy businesses affecting people's lives.

Mr. McDonald said that if Ms. Thompson’s daughter took the groceries without scanning them properly, it was by mistake. Video surveillance, reviewed by The New York Times, shows her daughter trying to scan and rescan groceries at the checkout machine for about 17 minutes.

Walmart has not filed shoplifting charges against Ms. Thompson’s daughter.

Who stands trying to scan for 17 minutes without asking for help?  Wouldn't the unscanned items set off security when she exited the store?  If you are spending 17 minutes trying to scan your groceries and the items are not showing up as scanned, you certainly know what happend and most certainly would know your total $ doesn't match what you purchased-yet still walk out??

Doesn't Wal-Mart have helpers at these self-check stations?  The few times we've been in WM there are people to assist.

Is this a joke?   Bon jour.
"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

I don't believe this story....

Esteemed Contributor

@maximillian wrote:

I work in retail, but not Walmart.  This whole scenario sounds made-up though.  Without revealing any management strategies, the story is not very plausible.  Take it with a grain of salt.

I completely agree. While I understand there is a contingency of posters here who seem to delight in kicking law enforcement to the curb and defending the offender, I call this story what it is--BS.