Honored Contributor

Re: Retailers' false accusations

This stinks to high heavens, definitely something fishy in this story.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

@Warrior2022 wrote:

My best friend of 30 plus years is in loss prevention at Walmart. This is a fake story.  She told me about this a week ago.  

Fake News ? Just look at the source.. New York Times 

Respected Contributor

This fake story has been around for years. Somebody wanted to slam attorneys, Walmart, law enforcement,and Southerners in particular. The "false teeth" thing is ridiculous. The fabrication about the attorney who hadn't practiced law in 27 years and who works in a funeral home is laughable. It was probably intended to be insulting. Obviously, some fell for it. Again, it would probably be appealing to people and media who detest attorneys, Walmart, law enforcement, and Southerners. It would almost be funny if it weren't so stupid.

Respected Contributor

@MorningLover wrote:

@Warrior2022 wrote:

My best friend of 30 plus years is in loss prevention at Walmart. This is a fake story.  She told me about this a week ago.  

Oh....I thought you meant the 'entertainment' channel. #Faux

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Frequent Contributor

I live in the area where the Alabama incidents occurred.  Nothing has been in the news about this.  You would think this would be reported locally.  This may not have happened.  

Honored Contributor

This does sound odd to say the least.

I know someone whose son was arrested for shoplifting at Walmart.  They had security personnel in the back room watching cameras and saw him acting suspiciously.  They had to wait until he walked past the registers and started out the door before they were allowed to approach him about the theft because until you start leaving, it's not theft since you have the oppportunity to still pay for the merchandise.     

Honored Contributor

@MorningLover wrote:

@Warrior2022 wrote:

@MorningLover

Seriously?   I didn't realize there were so many gullible people ....  clearly, you've never read the Times.    

Respected Contributor

Walmart did have a program where first time shoplifters had to pay a $300 -$500 fine and go through training, but it was ended after a judge said it was extortion.

https://www.businessinsider.com/walmart-ends-controversial-punishment-for-shoplifters-2017-12

If it is a hoax, I didn't see anything on Snopes about it, and Snopes is my trusted source when it comes to fake news. And while doing a Google search, I found a reddit post and an Wall Street Journal article with people claiming to receive the same letter:

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/31xywg/il_caught_shoplifting_at_walmart_restitution_pa...

https://poststar.com/business/local/retailers-take-shoplifting-battle-to-homes/article_4aeab8de-b714...

So it appears it's on the level, at least where getting letters is concerned.

Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@MorningLover wrote:

@Warrior2022 wrote:

@MorningLover

Seriously?   I didn't realize there were so many gullible people ....  clearly, you've never read the Times.    

I do realize that there are many gullible people..The

NYT is an in-house broadside of "certain" talking points.

It’s a travesty of its former glory as our national

newspaper. Heartbreaking, really.

Honored Contributor

@mom2four0418 wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

Is it possible that this story comes fron the New York Times website? 

@deepwaterdotter

?????    Why the NYT ?

An unsuccessful attempt at politicizing the thread.  I have seen it in other threads lately.

"An unsuccessful attempt at" assuming an agenda.  I have no political leanings or affiliations, I vote for the person and how I feel about what they stand for.