Honored Contributor

I think the restaurant @TenderMercies visited would benefit from having an employee seat their patrons.  It would keep servers from running around a big room trying to serve scattered customers, by concentrating them in one area.  They could control where people like the family sit, directing them to an appropriate table away from a single diner.  Everyone would be happier, employees and customers.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

If we even got close to misbehaving, just one look from my mother and my sister and I knew - or else!!

Kids today generally are not required/taught how to act in public.  When I notice a family with well behaved kids at a restaurant, I usually approach the parents and tell them how well behaved and sweet their children are and then have the server bring me their bill.  

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3  I understand what you are saying and some kids have a way of getting on everyone’s nerves.  I am not  making excuses for bad parenting or unruly kids...there are sure a lot of them.

There are a few kids who do have emotional problems.  It is sad and too bad.  We can’t expect them to live in the attic like they did a long time ago. I would hope we are better than that now.  We should not punish children or parents if there is a true disability.

i don’t know what the solution is to this problem.  Prayers for those families are helpful.

Honored Contributor

Let me preface my response that I adore children but if they are going to ruin someone's experience in a restaurant mom and dad need to hire a sitter.

Anyone taking an infant, 2 year old and 4 year old out to eat knows they might get noisy. It's really about having common sense. McDonald's or Chucky Cheese, maybe? Any restaurant where a lot of adults dine? I think it's kind of rude. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Restaurant Rant

[ Edited ]

I dont know why these parents dont take their kids to a kid family restaurant the kind with a playground to let them run around and burn energy like McDonalds for example....Instead they force their kids into a restaurant with an adult atmosphere, and the kids are unruly and the other customer's have to suffer....Some of today's parents have no concept of what consideration for others is, and they don't care if their kid's behaviour ruins it for the other diners............And then the parents get all upset because some restaurants are going with the "no children" concept..........

@TenderMercies I had a similar experience ---it was the Saturday night before Easter and me and some friends went out to dinner, the restaurant was packed and this couple let their kids run wild and they were bumping into the waiters carrying hot food....distrubing other patrons, and then the kids started fighting with one another they were about ages 4, 6, an 8, and the parents sat their talking----totally oblivious to what was going on...........SHEESH!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

@Rockycoastwrote:

Similar thing happened to my daughter this past Tuesday. She had gone into a cafe for lunch. It was early still, lots of tables available. My daughter was eating her lunch and playing a game on her phone. A family of 4 come in and took the table right next to my daughter. Mom and dad in their 30's, a 2 and 4 year old my daughter thought. As soon as the mom sat down she said to my daughter, " Could you put your phone away. My daughter(the 2 year old ) will want to play with it".  My daughter looked at her and said "Then you should teach your daughter not to touch other people's property", and went back to eating her lunch and her phone.  When she told me what happened, I told her, well done!  It is the mom's and dad's responsibility to teach her kids what is right and wrong and to not touch other's property.  I agree, parents need to step up their game and start parenting their kids! Not expect others to do it for them.

Wow!  I honestly think I would have laughed.  That's outrageous!   And then I would probably have said, "No. Sorry".  But I would have suspected hidden cameras were there somewhere, because it's just so ridiculous.

Good for your daughter - Perfect response.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is argumentative

Honored Contributor

@tansywrote:

The other day at lunchtime my husband and I were led through two rooms with several empty tables to a spot wedged in a corner right next to a family with a toddler and a baby.  The host rolled her eyes when I requested one of the window tables in the other room but I’d swear the parents were relieved.

Good for you @tansy !   More people should politely speak up as you did.

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11wrote:

Let me preface my response that I adore children but if they are going to ruin someone's experience in a restaurant mom and dad need to hire a sitter.

Anyone taking an infant, 2 year old and 4 year old out to eat knows they might get noisy. It's really about having common sense. McDonald's or Chucky Cheese, maybe? Any restaurant where a lot of adults dine? I think it's kind of rude. 

I never allowed my kids to eat at McD or Chucky Cheese..Yuck. My kids never ate out of a garbage can.

A casual restaurant at 2pm is a fine time to take kids out to eat. It’s after lunch time and before dinner...an odd hour.

What if the family is on vacation?  Kids have to eat too.  

Parents should make their kids behave or take them outside until they do.  I have personally asked kids to behave if they are bothering me in public, like kicking the back of my seat. If their parents don’t do it, I will.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624wrote:

I think the restaurant @TenderMercies visited would benefit from having an employee seat their patrons.  It would keep servers from running around a big room trying to serve scattered customers, by concentrating them in one area.  They could control where people like the family sit, directing them to an appropriate table away from a single diner.  Everyone would be happier, employees and customers.

@Kachina624  ??  I always thought that servers had designated areas anyway.  That way when a host/hostess seats customers there is an even distribution not only of customers but size of the party-so that one server doesn't benefit from mostly larger parties vs. the server who gets the smaller parties.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh