Honored Contributor

Re: Responsibility of Homeowners

Hey Girl~~You need to *Unfriend* your former neighbor.

He's moved on and forgotten about what a good neighbor you were....

Doesn't really matter if he knew about the *old beau* before, but he knows now. 

They talked about *YOU* when they discussed the messy yard......

He's not going out of his way to get it taken care of since you *told him nicely* about the problem....

What unkempt yard can wait another 30+ days?  (Sounds like a slumlord to me.) 

Such a shame when people don't take pride in whatever they own. 

Pulling weeds and lopping off branches, cutting grass.....it can be done for free

But people are lazy, careless, ignorant, etc....and they don't care about you!

I'd stick it to both of them by not only filing a complaint with Homeowner Assn., but also the city/town.

And I'd have a big ole smile on my face going in and out of my front door, with my nose up in the air. 

Respected Contributor

@luvmyteddy4 wrote:

Dating the neighbor next door - been there done that, it never ends well.

I wish I had a homes association to contact, my other neighbor's tree has done extensive damage to my house and roof three times since I have lived here. Nothing can be done because the tree is not totally dead and they call it an Act of God when there is a storm. I have to pay the deductible everytime and his house is a mess. The tree would cost 10,000 to take down, if I trim my side the remaining tree would fall over in my yard anyway. I keep my trees trimmed so it is not fair.  

This is making me nuts and there's not a thing I can do about it.

I would rather have your problem and be able to report it.

The owner runs in the house any time I go outside. Sorry to intrude on your thread but I am going through repairs as we speak and it is not going well.

@luvmyteddy4,

I once heard an insurance agent say that the way to protect yourself from a neighbor's tree is to put it in writing.  Write a letter to the neighbor explaining in detail (photos might be called for) how their tree has become a hazard to your property.  Notate as a footnote on the letter that you have sent a copy to your insurance agent, then mail both copies.  

Afterwards, any damage you may sustain from the aforementioned tree becomes a documented matter of neglect and protects you from expense.

Fortunately, I have not had the need to test this suggestion, but it sounds viable to me.   It might be worth asking for your insurance agent's opinon on it.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you're renting, then technically, shouldn't it be up to your landlord to approach the HOA? That's how it is around here, anyway. I'd alert your landlord, tell him or her the action you've already taken and then leave it up to them. By doing so, you also alert him that any mess connected to the situation isn't your doing. If he thinks the HOA will untlmately be on his back for the condition of his yard, then chances are he'll do whatever needs to be done. All that said, ex or not, amicable parting or not, it might've been worthwhile to have mentioned in to him first.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Super Contributor

@Ms X wrote:

Before you go to the HOA, consider whether it is worth it in terms of aggravation or loss of this froend.  Don't let his bad tenant come between you.  Personally, I'd settle for Sept. 30.

If the OP's friend was a REAL friend, he would have told the tenant to take care of the matter ASAP - the minute that the OP contacted him about this problem.

IMO > he wouldn't be much of a loss as a friend.  He's placating the OP so as not to irritate his tenant. 

Both the friend and tenant are losers -- the OP is better off without both.

Trusted Contributor

I have to chime in here.  I've read most of the responses, but not all four pages of them.  I'm not an arborist, but I love my trees and have learned quite a bit since I moved into this house.  I have heard there are certain times of the year that you should not trim trees due to potentially harming the tree.  I do know it is best to trim them when the weather is cooler.  That could be the reason you were told the trimming would take place at that particular time ~ not necessarily a vendetta against you due to your history with this individual.  I would take a deep breath and have faith it will be taken care of by the end of September.  If it hasn't been addressed by then you can then take any action you find necessary.