Honored Contributor

Re: Responsibility of Homeowners

If you emailed the owner on 8/1, a month (not 2) is more than sufficient time for the renter to clean up (or at least make an attempt) the yard. 

9/1 I'd go to the HOA with pictures.

Honored Contributor

A month is rediculous. Maybe you should send your friend the photos of how bad it is? 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Frequent Contributor

Its time to go to HOA with photos. Say no more to home owner and certainly not your neighbor. Good Luck.
Honored Contributor

A lot depends on what's in the lease. My guess is that the OP's lease makes her responsible for yard maintenance so she can't deduct the $300 from her rent. Generally, what overhangs onto your property is your responsibility not that of the neighbors. To me, it's not worth making an enemy over an extra bit of tree trimming and clean up. Compared to what you could have to endure from a neighbor, a messy tree seems minor to me.

Super Contributor

It is in my lease that I have to pay 1/2 the cost of yard maintenance, trees included.  I shared the home with my parents and when they passed, I haven't been able to move, so I'm stuck with that stipulation.

The issue is in our backyards, not visible via the street for anyone in the HOA to monitor.

I do the love idea of throwing back in their yard debris that I have to clean up.   LOL!

The tenant already got a new A/C, new refrigerator and new W/D this summer.  I saw them all being delivered.    He gets what he wants from his owner friend.   Why he can't clean the yard is beyond me.    As I said, he only works on his old truck day after day.

He won't talk to me anymore because I lost interest in him and wouldn't go out anymore.

Still, the owner needs to set the rules, not him.

Thanks for all the responses.  They have been helpful.

Honored Contributor

@Apple Head

the HOA that my ex has is very diligent......they walk all around the townhomes, front and back to look for problems with the homes, with the yards, and in the parking lots/common areas.

i wonder if you could tell your friend that owns the property that YOU will have it taken care of and send him the bill?

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

@Nuttmeg, I agree 100 %.  Let the photos make your case!LM

Honored Contributor

I would be content with the owner of the house saying he would get it done with in 60 days. That is not unreasonable.

Esteemed Contributor

Are these trees or actually large bushes?  Most trees don't usually grow fast enought to be trimmed often, but some like crepe myrtle or wax myrtle do.  If it is a bush type plant, I would just chop it off where it is hanging over and put it out for the trash pick-up.  Leaves blow everywhere so if there are a lot of trees in the neighborhood you are going to have leaves no matter what.

Honored Contributor

Here is my take ion this situation.  The home owner is not a good friend.  A good friend would not have rented to an ex that you feel uncomfortable living next to and he would have taken care of the problem for you ASAP.

You have proper notice to all parties involved and never received action.  Go to the HOA with pictures and request that they do something about it.  Don't wait!