Trusted Contributor

Re: Reruns of Cosby show are being cancelled

On 11/20/2014 shesallthat said:
On 11/19/2014 qvcfreak said:

Same thing happened with 7th Heaven on UP channel, and I agree, sad for the other actors that have nothing to do with it. A couple of actors on 7th Heaven made comments that they counted on those residuals but it is what it is. Wonder if they can sue them.

we were saying the same thing - the cosby show was more than just bill cosby!

I think this is different than 7th Heaven in that Cosby was the creator force behind the Cosby Show and the Claire was based on his wife. I really don't think, in this case, the show is more than Bill Cosby.

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.
Super Contributor

On 11/20/2014 adelle38 said:
On 11/20/2014 shesallthat said:

Same thing happened with 7th Heaven on UP channel, and I agree, sad for the other actors that have nothing to do with it. A couple of actors on 7th Heaven made comments that they counted on those residuals but it is what it is. Wonder if they can sue them.

we were saying the same thing - the cosby show was more than just bill cosby!

I think this is different than 7th Heaven in that Cosby was the creator force behind the Cosby Show and the Claire was based on his wife. I really don't think, in this case, the show is more than Bill Cosby.

yes the show IS more than Cosby! he was NOT the only actor - all the others will be affected by this decision to pull it,too.

Respected Contributor

On 11/19/2014 Tinkrbl44 said:
On 11/19/2014 mstyrion 1 said:

If those women were to have pushed forward, it would have cost each of them a fortune in legal fees ...... isn't getting raped bad enough? Do they also have to be wiped out financially, too ?? {#emotions_dlg.crying}

only for a civil suit.

If they pressed criminal charges, the state prosecutes. The victim doesn't.

Yes, but the victims would still need an attorney to represent them. {#emotions_dlg.unsure}

No they don't, not for a criminal case. When criminal charges are filed, the state prosecutes on behalf of the victim as mstyrion said. The victim doesn't pay anything, unless they file a civil suit. They are two different kinds of law and totally different.

Respected Contributor

On 11/20/2014 DJs mom said:

If those women were to have pushed forward, it would have cost each of them a fortune in legal fees ...... isn't getting raped bad enough? Do they also have to be wiped out financially, too ?? {#emotions_dlg.crying}

only for a civil suit.

Yes, but the victims would still need an attorney to represent them. {#emotions_dlg.unsure}

No they don't, not for a criminal case. When criminal charges are filed, the state prosecutes on behalf of the victim as mstyrion said. The victim doesn't pay anything, unless they file a civil suit. They are two different kinds of law and totally different.

Absolutely right, DJ.

The state acts as the attorney representing the victim. The victim does not have to hire their own personal counsel.

Tinkrbl, you are confusing criminal and civil law. Prosecution of rape or any other assault is criminal law.

~Enough is enough~
Honored Contributor

On 11/20/2014 mstyrion 1 said:
On 11/20/2014 DJs mom said:

only for a civil suit.

Absolutely right, DJ.

The state acts as the attorney representing the victim. The victim does not have to hire their own personal counsel.

Tinkrbl, you are confusing criminal and civil law. Prosecution of rape or any other assault is criminal law.

Can I add that when you file criminal charges, you become a witness for the prosecution of that case. The state is the Plaintiff, not the individual victims.

Super Contributor

On 11/19/2014 hckynut said:

Reruns of Cosby show are being cancelled

Why? Robert Blake had a trial for murdering his wife and I saw lots of reruns of his shows. He was found not guilty in a criminal trial but guilty in a Civil Trial and it cost him millions.

Mr. Cosby as far as I know, has not been convicted of anything by a jury, unless I somehow missed the trial.

There is a huge difference. Criminal convictions carry far more weight than civil convictions. It is also much easier to get a civil conviction.

Honored Contributor

7th heaven is back on daily on the UP channel.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

I don't watch the show on reruns but I did enjoy it in its day.

To add- I don't know what Bill did or didn't do. But I have to wonder why is this all coming out when hes elderly? Why not before this? Did I miss something?

Lastly- if Bill did this he should be punished in a court of law and prosecuted!, but I can tell you Janice Dickenson is just looking for attention. I don't buy what shes selling by suddenly jumping on the "band wagon" this late in the story.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

There were actually many cases that came out many years ago, and over the years since. But IIRC it's been a while.

The thing with this (alleged) crime is that there are seldom witnesses and, by the time some might feel safe to report it, there is no hard evidence.

This has followed him for a long time and it seems like there have been only one or two basic MOs, so a lot of what different women have reported over the years has matched up.

To have a criminal case there needs to be more (not to mention not having the perp being somebody famous and powerful) so you don't see some prosecuted at all because there is nothing to go on and then you'd end up with a 'not guilty' and it could never be prosecuted again.

Some of the ones where he paid them off were because there were other women stepping forward and he didn't want them to all be able to testify against him. Paying off the main woman made it go away - for a while, and so on and so on.

I was never there, so I don't KNOW if he was guilty but I lean in that direction from all I've seen and read over the decades.

Super Contributor

When it comes to his new show and his future income, if BC can't find it in him to stand up for himself and declare his innocence, I won't be placing a bet that he's innocent.