Honored Contributor

Renter or owner -- a host's comment

What do y'all think of this: a host today was presenting D&B handbags. At one point she went into a bit of a garbled comparison between renting and owning a residence.

I can only paraphrase, but she said that she used to rent and thought it was so great just to have to pay rent monthly but then when she bought a home, she realized how much better it was to pay a mortgage toward ownership. The gist was that a D&B handbag was the owner and other less quality bags were the renters. I hope that makes some sense.

I've been a homeowner for decades, but it just struck as maybe not the most sensitive analogy given what has to be a mix of renters and owners in the "audience" and given that although many of the renters are by choice, still the supposed ideal has always been homeownership. And we are all probably aware that it has become far more difficult for many to achieve that all-American goal.

This is just something that got me thinking. I am in way upset by it, nor do I think less of the host. I know how difficult it can be to talk for a living.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Re: Renter or owner -- a host's comment

The joy of ownership?

Honored Contributor

I know that I would fail miserably if I had to talk constantly over a long period of time (or ten minutes!). heh

It is a rather odd analogy, though.   

So, buying a Chinese-made 'designer' bag is like owning your house.  okey dokey.  Smiley Very Happy    I'll just go on ahead owning my house and using that money for something else.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

They must not be selling well today- that schtick is a long stretch !! Woman LOL

Esteemed Contributor

You're reading WAY too much into the comment. YES -- home ownership is the BEST thing for me - but don't confuse it with owning a Dooney (which I love).

Honored Contributor

It's a stupid thing to say. Dooney are nice, but there are so many more expensive brands. So is " owning " a Dooney like owning a condo and say owning a Chloe or a Vuitton an actual house. They are handbags, and these reps need to get over themselves.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3

Was it on easy pay, you know, rent for 30 days before you buy?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

That just sounds odd what she said. It makes no sense to me and I don't see how a dwelling compares to a handbag, in any respect.

Maybe she was referring to renting handbags. People do that.

Honored Contributor

Any hint what Dooney bag it was? I’d love to see the actual video.

Honored Contributor

I'm afraid I have no idea which handbag was being presented when she went on this tangent.

She was definitely not talking about renting handbags. :-) She was saying that owning this D&B bag is like owning your own residence, whereas owning some lesser bag is equivalent to renting a residence. The implication is that renting a residence is inferior to owning a place.

Whether I feel that home ownership is better than renting, I doubt that I would make that analogy in "mixed" company.

It was just...odd. She may very well have started down this road before realizing where it went.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland