Valued Contributor

Thanks, @Cakers3  , for the beautiful post.  Much gratitude for all who made the ultimate sacrifice.  My parents' generation served in WWII, and far too many of my peers sacrificed in Nam.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*Kindness is a gift everyone can afford to give.
**Be the reason someone smiles today : )
Honored Contributor

A beautiful tribute, @Cakers3 .

Honored Contributor
Franklin D. Roosevelt

"Those who have long enjoyed such privileges as we enjoy forget in time that men have died to win them.".

Thanks, @Cakers3 for these wonderful and touching pictures and reminding us of those who sacrificed much so that we could remain free.

Respected Contributor

A very important message and reminder @Cakers3!

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Trusted Contributor

Thank you for the pictures that should help us never forget their and their famillies' sacrifices..  I hope we honor them in life as well with enhanced benefits: educational, health care, improved VA hospitals,  housing, mental health/addiction treatment, job training, and support for housing. 

Honored Contributor

Thank you @Cakers3 . Thinking about so many today. We lost a dear friend to Covid-19 last night. He was also a WW II veteran.

Thinking about DH's uncle, whom he is named after, a pilot shot down during WW II near the Phillipines. They never found him, but there is a group now trying to find the plane. They did recover the body of the bombadier. DH's father was his younger brother.

Thinking about a college friend whose helicopter was shot down in northern Iraq, and a very good college friend who died from injuries suffered in captivity during the Gulf War. Also thinking about two local boys who were both killed from IED's.

Many veterans in our family who evenually came home safely. All are gone now.

Trusted Contributor

@spent2much  .... As you said "all gave some; some gave all". Now might be a good time to listen to Billy Ray Cyrus' song "Some Gave All". As well as heartbreaking to listen to it is a reminder of what was sacrificed for all of us.

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

Thank you @Cakers3 . Thinking about so many today. We lost a dear friend to Covid-19 last night. He was also a WW II veteran.

Thinking about DH's uncle, whom he is named after, a pilot shot down during WW II near the Phillipines. They never found him, but there is a group now trying to find the plane. They did recover the body of the bombadier. DH's father was his younger brother.

Thinking about a college friend whose helicopter was shot down in northern Iraq, and a very good college friend who died from injuries suffered in captivity during the Gulf War. Also thinking about two local boys who were both killed from IED's.

Many veterans in our family who evenually came home safely. All are gone now.

@beach-mom   Thank you for sharing.

Viet Nam was the one where I lost friends and the husband of a friend-newly wed.

I've told this story before but I carry a picture of 4 of DS's buddies from boot camp..  All four standing so proudly, smiling, in that dusty and barren Afghanistan.  All four later were killled.  I keep it as a reminder of how young they were, how their mothers and fathers mourned, and how blessed I am.  Every now and then DS mentions them.

We had a poster here years ago who never knew her dad.  He was killed during WWII when she was just a wee baby.

My dad, DH, and DS are all vets.  Dad has been gone now going on almost 25 years.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@beach-mom   Thank you for sharing.

Viet Nam was the one where I lost friends and the husband of a friend-newly wed.

I've told this story before but I carry a picture of 4 of DS's buddies from boot camp..  All four standing so proudly, smiling, in that dusty and barren Afghanistan.  All four later were killled.  I keep it as a reminder of how young they were, how their mothers and fathers mourned, and how blessed I am.  Every now and then DS mentions them.

We had a poster here years ago who never knew her dad.  He was killed during WWII when she was just a wee baby.

My dad, DH, and DS are all vets.  Dad has been gone now going on almost 25 years.

@Cakers3 - Thank you for sharing with me (and the others here who didn't know about your DS) too. What a wonderful legacy to your son's friends - that you carry that picture and that your son will keep their memory alive. 

It is so important that we keep all of their lives in our hearts. We just finished watching the Memorial Day concert. I cried all the way through it. I can't remember a time in my life that I haven't heard the stories. I try to pass them on to my children - all of the stories about different groups and the courage these very young men and women have shown and are still showing. I want them to remember. 

My dad's best friend was killed next to him in Korea. He would never talk about it, even though as a curious teenager I tried to get him to.

Esteemed Contributor

What a beautiful memorial for those who gave their lives for our freedom.  Thank you Cakers.  I remember as a child during WWII how frightened I was that my beloved father would be drafted into the service.  He wasn't because he had two children.  

We had friends, two sisters who were the same ages as my sister and I and their older brother.  He was killed during the Korean war, too young, too soon. 

May all of those who died for the freedom of The United States Of America rest in peace among the angels.  God Bless each and everyone of them.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam