Honored Contributor

@PinkSunset the media had nothing to do with the release of the video, the state of Texas did! And it wasn't an overnight decision. The state wanted it released years ago but the attorneys for Randy Travis went through the court system to stop it and finally lost a few days ago. 

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

Randy Travis is beloved by many & has a large fan base....

as illustrated by the outpouring of comments on social media.  

But he could’ve taken that ‘embarrassing’ open record arrest

and used it to show humility instead of tying up the courts for yrs.

How amazing would it have been if he would’ve just owned it &

used it as a PSA for addiction.  He could’ve been the new poster boy

for turning-your-life-around after substance abuse. 

But he didn’t.

He made it about him.

In fact, he used his own celebrity status to try & hide it.

Don’t blame TMZ or the millions of other news/social media outlets.

Double standard goes both ways.

Humility would’ve served him well in this case. 

And what scares me?

The ‘99% of those commenting are disgusted w/ the media, not Randy.”

He’s a habitual law-breaker. How is that ok?

Somehow if this was another well-known, maybe not-so-liked celebrity,

that “99%” would be disgusted with the person, not media.

I would 100% guarantee that.

I agree with @JJsMom.  

If this ‘embarrassing’ video can help just one person or

even one person in his fan base, then it was worth it, yes?  

Too bad Mr. Travis doesn’t care about the same people defending him.

Respected Contributor

I saw the video last night. He threatened the officer several times and wished he would get bone cancer and die (my mom is struggling with this right now and I didn't find that funny at all). He could have injured or killed someone in his condition. The officer showed great restraint. Randy is very lucky he didn't end up with any more injuries than he had, or a bullet in his body. This is not the first time he's been caught naked and drunk in a car either. 

Honored Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

@PinkSunset the media had nothing to do with the release of the video, the state of Texas did! And it wasn't an overnight decision. The state wanted it released years ago but the attorneys for Randy Travis went through the court system to stop it and finally lost a few days ago. 

@JaneMarple

I agree.

But arrest records are open records.  The State didn’t special release.

The Attorney General (TX Gov Greg Abbott, at the time of arrest) declared them not to have highly intimate or embarrassing information...and Travis’ attorneys couldn’t provide info that his rights were being violated.  

Unfortunately, Travis caused this...I would bet if he would’ve

just quietly let it be, there would’ve been nothing on social media.

49BDB536-694B-4C9F-B809-5699758C0311.jpeg

Honored Contributor

I find it hard to muster up any sympathy for him.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

Randy Travis is beloved by many & has a large fan base....

as illustrated by the outpouring of comments on social media.  

But he could’ve taken that ‘embarrassing’ open record arrest

and used it to show humility instead of tying up the courts for yrs.

How amazing would it have been if he would’ve just owned it &

used it as a PSA for addiction.  He could’ve been the new poster boy

for turning-your-life-around after substance abuse. 

But he didn’t.

He made it about him.

In fact, he used his own celebrity status to try & hide it.

Don’t blame TMZ or the millions of other news/social media outlets.

Double standard goes both ways.

Humility would’ve served him well in this case. 

And what scares me?

The ‘99% of those commenting are disgusted w/ the media, not Randy.”

He’s a habitual law-breaker. How is that ok?

Somehow if this was another well-known, maybe not-so-liked celebrity,

that “99%” would be disgusted with the person, not media.

I would 100% guarantee that.

I agree with @JJsMom.  

If this ‘embarrassing’ video can help just one person or

even one person in his fan base, then it was worth it, yes?  

Too bad Mr. Travis doesn’t care about the same people defending him.

@sidsmom, you can take that to the bank. :-) I didn't know anything about him, so I googled to find out about his views. So yes, you can take that to the bank.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

I read that Randy Travis had a serious stroke in 2013 and flatlined three times. Doctors even recommended that he be removed from life support. Are we that desperate for news that we have to drag up something like this? Obviously, drunk driving is very serious, but why deliberately embarrass someone over something that happened five years ago? Look out, people, if you ever made a mistake in your life, you might one day read about it on the internet.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Honored Contributor

@Yardlie wrote:

I read that Randy Travis had a serious stroke in 2013 and flatlined three times. Doctors even recommended that he be removed from life support. Are we that desperate for news that we have to drag up something like this? Obviously, drunk driving is very serious, but why deliberately embarrass someone over something that happened five years ago? Look out, people, if you ever made a mistake in your life, you might one day read about it on the internet.

@Yardlie, but was it released to embarrass him? Aren't videos released on a regular basis? Apparently, the legal fight over just concluded.

And to me, it sounds as if more than drunk driving was involved. I'm surprised by such hearty defense here, but thankfully, @sidsmom explained it well.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Yardlie wrote:

@Yardlie, but was it released to embarrass him? Aren't videos released on a regular basis? Apparently, the legal fight over just concluded.

And to me, it sounds as if more than drunk driving was involved. I'm surprised by such hearty defense here, but thankfully, @sidsmom explained it well.

When somebody is in poor health such as Randy Travis is, something this stressful could create more health problems such as extreme hypertension and another stroke. Yes, it was released to embarrass him. There are other ways to educating the public besides being insensitive clods.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Honored Contributor

I’m in the camp that alcoholism is a disease.  Rather than focusing on punishment and incarceration, let’s focus on effective rehabilitation.  There is technology that should be able to keep an impaired driver off the road.  

FWIW, growing up with an alcoholic, I don’t drink.  I don’t like being around people who are drunk.