Honored Contributor

@Yardlie wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Yardlie wrote:

I read that Randy Travis had a serious stroke in 2013 and flatlined three times. Doctors even recommended that he be removed from life support. Are we that desperate for news that we have to drag up something like this? Obviously, drunk driving is very serious, but why deliberately embarrass someone over something that happened five years ago? Look out, people, if you ever made a mistake in your life, you might one day read about it on the internet.

@Yardlie, but was it released to embarrass him? Aren't videos released on a regular basis? Apparently, the legal fight over just concluded.

And to me, it sounds as if more than drunk driving was involved. I'm surprised by such hearty defense here, but thankfully, @sidsmom explained it well.

When somebody is in poor health such as Randy Travis is, something this stressful could create more health problems such as extreme hypertension and another stroke. Yes, it was released to embarrass him. There are other ways to educating the public besides being insensitive clods.

I think I know who the ‘insensitive clod’ is.

Thank heavens he didn’t kill someone during his drunken escapades.

It’s disgusting he’s using this as a ‘pity plea’ to make him

sound like the victim.

And people wonder why society has gotten so off track.

This is why...when people forget about ethics because 

someone has a catchy song.  Wow.

Valued Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

@PinkSunset the media had nothing to do with the release of the video, the state of Texas did! And it wasn't an overnight decision. The state wanted it released years ago but the attorneys for Randy Travis went through the court system to stop it and finally lost a few days ago. 

um, the media picked it up and ran with the story. I got several FB feeds this morning from various news outlets. I don't read Texas newspapers so the only way for me to find this out was through social media sites picking up the story and running it. 

Valued Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

Randy Travis is beloved by many & has a large fan base....

as illustrated by the outpouring of comments on social media.  

But he could’ve taken that ‘embarrassing’ open record arrest

and used it to show humility instead of tying up the courts for yrs.

How amazing would it have been if he would’ve just owned it &

used it as a PSA for addiction.  He could’ve been the new poster boy

for turning-your-life-around after substance abuse. 

But he didn’t.

He made it about him.

In fact, he used his own celebrity status to try & hide it.

Don’t blame TMZ or the millions of other news/social media outlets.

Double standard goes both ways.

Humility would’ve served him well in this case. 

And what scares me?

The ‘99% of those commenting are disgusted w/ the media, not Randy.”

He’s a habitual law-breaker. How is that ok?

Somehow if this was another well-known, maybe not-so-liked celebrity,

that “99%” would be disgusted with the person, not media.

I would 100% guarantee that.

I agree with @JJsMom.  

If this ‘embarrassing’ video can help just one person or

even one person in his fan base, then it was worth it, yes?  

Too bad Mr. Travis doesn’t care about the same people defending him.

all I can say is I guess you have no one in your family that has had problems. anyone who got to the point he did on that night, is broken And I feel sorry for broken people who can't help themselves. And I don't care about it being Randy Travis. I care because a broken human being made a serious mistake and then had to be publicly shamed by it. And those videos help no one who has drinking problems, No one. Because an alcoholic does not see themselves as the world sees them.  

I guess we should have all sinners confess their sins in public and let the public decide if they deserve sympathy or ridicule. And oh yeah, let's kick someone while they are down. Cause that's the right thing to do. 

I feel sorry for people who for whatever reason, whether self inflicted or done upon by society, are terribly broken. But that's just me. 

Honored Contributor

@PinkSunset wrote:

@JaneMarple wrote:

@PinkSunset the media had nothing to do with the release of the video, the state of Texas did! And it wasn't an overnight decision. The state wanted it released years ago but the attorneys for Randy Travis went through the court system to stop it and finally lost a few days ago. 

um, the media picked it up and ran with the story. I got several FB feeds this morning from various news outlets. I don't read Texas newspapers so the only way for me to find this out was through social media sites picking up the story and running it. 

Um the state of Texas RELEASED the information! Since Mr Travis is an international star, the story REACHED the entire world and not just the Texas newspapers! Blame the court system for releasing the video to the media @PinkSunset!

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

I don't even know who Randy Travis is.  But it he was arrested and found guilty of drunk driving, he deserves the shame of the tape.  No matter how badly he acted on it.

But I am so torn about tapes and videos and the written word of victims being released to the public.  Especially minor children who can't even give their consent.

Actually I'm dead against it. 

It invades their privacy, takes away their dignity, makes them more a victim (IMO) and it just seems to feed a frenzy of sick(er) individuals. 

Unless someone, who has been violated in some way, and wants the details of the horrific events released, I say keep them sealed and only for court purposes.

Respected Contributor

Re: Remember Randy Travis?

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom wrote:

@Yardlie wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Yardlie wrote:

I read that Randy Travis had a serious stroke in 2013 and flatlined three times. Doctors even recommended that he be removed from life support. Are we that desperate for news that we have to drag up something like this? Obviously, drunk driving is very serious, but why deliberately embarrass someone over something that happened five years ago? Look out, people, if you ever made a mistake in your life, you might one day read about it on the internet.

@Yardlie, but was it released to embarrass him? Aren't videos released on a regular basis? Apparently, the legal fight over just concluded.

And to me, it sounds as if more than drunk driving was involved. I'm surprised by such hearty defense here, but thankfully, @sidsmom explained it well.

When somebody is in poor health such as Randy Travis is, something this stressful could create more health problems such as extreme hypertension and another stroke. Yes, it was released to embarrass him. There are other ways to educating the public besides being insensitive clods.

I think I know who the ‘insensitive clod’ is.

Thank heavens he didn’t kill someone during his drunken escapades.

It’s disgusting he’s using this as a ‘pity plea’ to make him

sound like the victim.

And people wonder why society has gotten so off track.

This is why...when people forget about ethics because 

someone has a catchy song.  Wow.

Go ahead ... Tell us who the insensitive clod is. Maybe a little more sensitivity toward each other would help put America back on track. Right now it is every man for himself. Alcoholism is an illness. Sounds like there are some pretty insensitive judges on the bench.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Esteemed Contributor

Why am I feelling deja vu here? Didn't this same thing happen with him a while back?

Respected Contributor

This happened in 2012, so it was a while back.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Honored Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

@PinkSunset wrote:

@JaneMarple wrote:

Um the state of Texas RELEASED the information! Since Mr Travis is an international star, the story REACHED the entire world and not just the Texas newspapers! Blame the court system for releasing the video to the media @PinkSunset!

@JaneMarple

Just a reminder.....nothing was ‘released’.

The word ‘released’ shouldn’t be used.  

No one, other than Travis, is to blame for this video being newsworthy. 

Arrest records are open records for anyone to view,

no matter what your last name is.

The world-wide media had this court decision on their DayPlanner.

Once the judge’s gavel hit, case was overruled & dismissed.

Anyone can view.  

Again, like I said upthread, Travis brought this on to himself...

in many different ways. 

Esteemed Contributor

I find the assumptions made concerning this incident amusing.  As far as I can tell (am sure someone will scour the Internet to prove me wrong) this is an isolated incident.  Yet there are some making the assumption that there is a problem with alcohol and want to make him the poster child for bad behavior.  Then there are other that want to pity him.  Why not just take it at face value that it was a stupid mistake, one made by many others.  The release of the video is not a public service announcement or a news story.  It was released by the court, yes.  It was broadcast by the media for the sole purpose of embarrassing a celebrity.  Just as they do for any other celebrity they can get something on.  Why people find these type of things interesting is beyond me, but to each there own.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.