Honored Contributor

Re: Remember Mary Kay Letourneau?

I saw the first 5 minutes of the interview. Did she always talk like that or does she have a speech impediment. I'm not making fun of people with a speech impediment, just seemed like MK engaged in baby talk.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

On 4/13/2015 NoelSeven said:
On 4/13/2015 Shaunac said:
On 4/11/2015 wildcat fan said: I wish he would've been given the opportunity to talk more. Thought it was kind of odd when Barbara asked her if he was warm and compassionate. She hesitated and said he's spontaneous, a quality she loves.

Along those same lines, when Barbara asked Vili about Mary, his response was: Mary is Mary. She's late to everything. Neither had good things to say about each other. If anything, Mary is in love with him, but it seems he doesn't share those same feelings.

IMO it was obvious he does not like the limelight. He was uptight about that, not necessarily her. He did not like being questioned, either.

He said he felt safe with her, it's where he wanted to be. He has a long history of a bad childhood and serious depression. You don't take someone like that, put them in front of a camera and expect charm and openness.

Hi Noel! I feel like you have more understanding of this young man than some.

Additionally, I felt like I got a couple of vibes from him - 1) I do believe that he continues to suffer from depression. 2) I think that his lack of what we might consider openness might be a combination of a couple of things - It might be his personality to not want to be open about private things and private feelings with strangers (not only BW, but millions who may be watching). I also think it might be a manifestation of cultural traditions. Some people keep ALL of their private feelings and thoughts close to the vest (whatever that saying is) and don't feel any inclination whatsoever to open up about the private things in their lives.

I felt like MKL was really quit child-like in her demeanor. What struck me about that was that when they showed clips from an older interview with BW, she didn't speak with that inflection, accent, or child-like demeanor. I was just perplexed by that.

But, going in initially, I thought that Vili struck me as very unhappy. I think that could be said to be true, in that he's probably suffering from depression. But the longer I watched the more I felt like there were other things that had him being very closed and calculating in what he felt comfortable sharing.

That's my take, anyway. I'm not going into the whole beginning of 'them' because that's water WAY under the bridge at this point. Smiley Happy I don't think she's (or was) a pedophile. I just think that she was unhappy in her life and when somebody (whoever it ended up being) showed her such extreme adoration, she just fell into it.

Just one more thing that was odd to me - how was it that he was 13 years old in sixth grade? I was in high school at 13.

Super Contributor

He's fine in front of the camera and had no problem throwing a ""hot for teacher party"" sleazy partywhen he was DJ'ing. He loves the attention and that's why he likes to DJ because that is what people who love the limelight do.

Honored Contributor

On 4/13/2015 chickenbutt said:
On 4/13/2015 NoelSeven said:
On 4/13/2015 Shaunac said:
On 4/11/2015 wildcat fan said: I wish he would've been given the opportunity to talk more. Thought it was kind of odd when Barbara asked her if he was warm and compassionate. She hesitated and said he's spontaneous, a quality she loves.

Along those same lines, when Barbara asked Vili about Mary, his response was: Mary is Mary. She's late to everything. Neither had good things to say about each other. If anything, Mary is in love with him, but it seems he doesn't share those same feelings.

IMO it was obvious he does not like the limelight. He was uptight about that, not necessarily her. He did not like being questioned, either.

He said he felt safe with her, it's where he wanted to be. He has a long history of a bad childhood and serious depression. You don't take someone like that, put them in front of a camera and expect charm and openness.

Hi Noel! I feel like you have more understanding of this young man than some.

Additionally, I felt like I got a couple of vibes from him - 1) I do believe that he continues to suffer from depression. 2) I think that his lack of what we might consider openness might be a combination of a couple of things - It might be his personality to not want to be open about private things and private feelings with strangers (not only BW, but millions who may be watching). I also think it might be a manifestation of cultural traditions. Some people keep ALL of their private feelings and thoughts close to the vest (whatever that saying is) and don't feel any inclination whatsoever to open up about the private things in their lives.

I felt like MKL was really quit child-like in her demeanor. What struck me about that was that when they showed clips from an older interview with BW, she didn't speak with that inflection, accent, or child-like demeanor. I was just perplexed by that.

But, going in initially, I thought that Vili struck me as very unhappy. I think that could be said to be true, in that he's probably suffering from depression. But the longer I watched the more I felt like there were other things that had him being very closed and calculating in what he felt comfortable sharing.

That's my take, anyway. I'm not going into the whole beginning of 'them' because that's water WAY under the bridge at this point. Smiley Happy I don't think she's (or was) a pedophile. I just think that she was unhappy in her life and when somebody (whoever it ended up being) showed her such extreme adoration, she just fell into it.

Just one more thing that was odd to me - how was it that he was 13 years old in sixth grade? I was in high school at 13.

Hi CB Smile

ITA, I think you nailed it, and you're right, of course there has to be a cultural difference.

Also, opening up about yourself, private matters, is totally different than being a DJ and working a party. Not the same thing at all, and probably most people are uncomfortable with public speaking, which does not mean they can't hang with their people.

I'm also with you about MKL, she seems very childlike. She had a difficult childhood which we don't know all the details about, I would not be surprised if it didn't include abuse. Something made her emotional growth undeveloped, which is why I think in her mind, it was ok to be with a very young boy. I suspect she was on the same mental level of development he was then.

I don't know about his age thing in 6th grade, maybe he was kept back, he implied he had trouble learning.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices