Esteemed Contributor

DH and I were remembering fun treats from 50s and 60s; anybody remember candy cigarettes?  Talk about brain washing!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Remember Candy Cigarettes?

Yes, and I remember the gum cigarettes, too.  It was a cigarette shaped piece of gum with paper wrapped around it.  They would put powdered sugar in the paper and if you blew into the cigarette, it would look like a puff of smoke would come out.

Honored Contributor

@patbzwrote:

DH and I were remembering fun treats from 50s and 60s; anybody remember candy cigarettes?  Talk about brain washing!

Yes, I do. DH and I watch a lot of the old movies and tv shows from that era and everyone smoked. Smoking was glamorous.

Valued Contributor

Absolutely, when I was 5-6 I would go out to the car, get in the driver seat and smoke those things.

libby's folly
Honored Contributor

Candy cigarettes can still be bought; I remember Lucky Strikes and pink bubble gum cigars.

Honored Contributor

@TenderMercieswrote:

Yes, and I remember the gum cigarettes, too.  It was a cigarette shaped piece of gum with paper wrapped around it.  They would put powdered sugar in the paper and if you blew into the cigarette, it would look like a puff of smoke would come out.

@TenderMercies.  I had a job one summer working at the Philadelphia Chewing Gum Co, which made those bubble gum cigars.  I had a lot of different summer jobs and this was the worse.  Hot, unair-conditioned with sticky 10X sugar in the air that stiffened your clothes and hair, boring assembly line work.  The bubble gum smell permeated everything.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Yeah.........maybe that's what stunted my growth(!!!)   Haven't put on an inch since the 8th grade.....................

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I had the cavities to prove it. I would never have let my son eat that stuff and my mother didn't give it a second thought. In fact, my grandmother sold that junk in her grocery store. I loved the way the penny candy was displayed in the candy case.

Valued Contributor

@TenderMercieswrote:

HAHA! I sooo remember these @TenderMercies but had forgotten all about them. I loved them and loved making that powder puff out like smoke, haha! I guess I am not easy to brainwash because it never made me want to smoke for real...never have and never will. I grew up in the late 70's and 80's so these weren't just 50 and 60's candies!

Honored Contributor

@blackhole99wrote:

I had the cavities to prove it. I would never have let my son eat that stuff and my mother didn't give it a second thought. In fact, my grandmother sold that junk in her grocery store. I loved the way the penny candy was displayed in the candy case.

@blackhole99   I actually pulled fillings out eating Tootsie Rolls.    Needless to say my ma wasn't too happy with the dentist bill, and my visits to the candy store ended................

♥Surface of the Sun♥