Honored Contributor

Re: Relationships Matter (Long)

I love hearing about this young man.  It's encouraging to see those of our young people who work so hard for what they want to achieve.  It's also encouraging to know there are teachers out there who really care.  Thank you, @lolakimono,  for all your efforts and support of this young man.     

Esteemed Contributor

@lolakimono  Congrats to you for being a loving caring teacher.Unfortunately, all teachers aren't like you. Not all parents take the time they should to encourage their children. Some are too busy putting food on the table & some parents don't see it as a parent school partnership. They feel it's the school's responsibility to educate their kids & they have no role in it.

My son was an honor student because I was 100% involved in his education. I knew he was smart & I made sure he did his schoolwork. Everyone of his teachers through high school thanked me for being an involved parent.A couple of them even told my son that he was a lucky kid to have me on his side.

I also mentored a classmate of my son's for a while. Then he was sent to live with his dad &  moved out of the district. This kid came from a broken home.His mom was "a dancer". He was neglected. His homework was never done & he never came to school with lunch or money to buy it.I always packed an extra sandwich so my son could share with him.

When my son would invite him over I would pick him up & take him home. I would always help him with his schoolwork. To make a long story short. A few years ago out of nowhere I got a big bouquet of flowers & a letter from this kid. 
  He thanked me for doing what  his mom was "incapable of". He said because of my influence he started taking school more seriously after he moved.He went on to college & got his Masters in special education. He now teaches & mentors underprivileged & at risk kids.I'm so proud of him!! 

Honored Contributor

@lolakimono 

I'm so glad you were able to update here with such great news! 
The pandemic certainly threw everything and every body into a jumble.

'It is wonderful to hear that he continues to succeed and excel!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@Jaspersmom 

I saw your post in the Pet Lovers forum, and it sounded like you were in need of a "pick me up" human story.  I scanned and I didn't see you on here already, so maybe this thread will brighten your day.  If you want to invest a few minutes, please read this in chronological order for it to make sense.  Cat Very Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@lolakimono - Thank you and what a wonderful update. Your "student" is doing an amazing job and you must be very proud. With your coaching and his hard work he really has some future ahead of him.