Honored Contributor

Re: Relationships Matter (Long)

@lolakimono This is amazing! And such an antidote to most of the rest of this particular forum. 

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Respected Contributor

@lolakimono :  Thanks again for the impact you have had on this young man.....would like to see where he lands after his college graduation.  Nice story....

Trusted Contributor

@lolakimono I had a few moments this AM to read through most of your posts about this remarkable boy.

My hope for both of you is this:
May he become the most successful at whatever he chooses to do and that he change the world for the better. That his success help provide for his family and friends so they may do the same.  And that in turn he always remember the kindness and love you have shown towards him. 

For you- That you wake every day with joy and happiness - knowing that you changed a life in this world for the better, not that you can change, that you DID make that change. 

You are a champion, a leader.  I hope the school district that you work for understands the gem they have in you as a teacher. Your mother must be so proud, your dad I am sure is also extrordinarily proud.  

I read your posts and enjoy them immensely, your style both fashion and home, your teaching stories.  All thoughtufl and so well written. 

You are amazing.  I am so humbled -  Please accept my thank you for all you do, be it teaching or "entertainment" 

Peace. 

Honored Contributor

@Jtdmum 

Aw, thank you so much!Heart

I teared up when I watched the awards show and heard that he had won the BIG scholarship.  In the district there are about 75K students, so for him to win the BIG awards from all the seniors at 12 high schools (and independent, parochial, homeschool students) is really something.  He was competing with kids from the school where I used to teach, who want for nothing.

When BF and I went to go see him on his last day of school and drop off his gifts, it was emotional.  I think his school will allow them on campus this fall, although maybe without a roommate, if that's what they'll do to social distance.  He really is a dream come true.  I hope that he LOVES college, and that he has amazing experiences.  He has grown up a lot due to having to help care for his sisters, so I'm sure he'll be fine dealing with time management and other challenges.  I am hoping that if he can work this summer, he won't feel like he needs to work during school, since there is nothing to save up for, and he can just focus on doing amazing work in their honors college program.  

Honored Contributor

UPDATE:

In case you have been following the story of "my boy" it has now been a year.Cat Surprised

He and I text a few times a month, and he keeps me updated about his progress.

His first semester he was disappointed because he got a B in his English class (remember that is not his first language).  SIGH.

By the end of the first semester, between his AP credits and his current coursework, he was one credit away from sophomore status.

I could tell that he was miffed about his grades.

The other day he texted me (with a screenshot of his grades) because he earned a 4.0!

He now has a 3.9 QPA.  I told him that was better than mine when I went to school, LOL, but I turned out okay.  Cat LOL

So now he has 40 credits completed, the freshman year is behind him and he has taken a few "early" classes in his major.  I think by Spring he will have enough credits to apply to the 3-2 professional program.  We have been searching scholarships for those IN college, and I think between the two of us and our detective skills we can get him close to zero debt in a five year program.  I am hoping that he will enroll in summer school (while there is still "grace and compassion" and he can knock out a few more courses of gen ed).

I don't think anyone was losing sleep about this, but since I have happy updates I thought I would pass them along to those who were following from the beginning.  Cat Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@lolakimono What a great success story...you should be proud.  So glad this young man had you as a mentor.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lolakimono 

Thank you for the update. I was just thinking about your young man yesterday after a  former parent called me to say she had just graduated at 50 with a teaching degree and her son, my former student, had received a scholarship to college for next year!

I know you recognized the potential in this student and continued to advocate and investigate the maze of scholarships available to him. You have guided him onto a path that will change his life. You have done a true mitzvah!

I know your reward is seeing his success but I hope your administration knows and appreciates the passion and dedication that you put into your profession and those that are entrusted to you. You are an exemplary teacher.

Honored Contributor

@lolakimono That is so great! During a pandemic no less.

Cheers to you and your student!👋👋🙌

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

@lolakimono - I am just reading this for the first time! Let me say - YOU are amazing! Thank you for all you do! Every day I pray to make a difference in someone's life. And you have certainly done that. I think you have formed a forever bond with this young man, who will go on to leave a huge footprint in this world and make it a better place.  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Believe it or not @lolakimono I was just thinking about your young man last week.  Thank you so much for the update and your continued involvement in the life of your former successful student.