Respected Contributor

It's that time of year again and we haven't had a tip thread in a long time.  I wanted to share this you ladies.  There's a dress shop in my town that serves as a UPS pickup center.  I love it!  Now I don't have to worry about deliveries, I go online and have them held for me at the shop and I pick them up on Saturday.  I've done it several times but last Saturday when I stopped in for my QVC stash.....there was a tip jar near the cash register!  I kid you not.  Never in my 55 years have I seen a tip jar in dress shop.  I did not use it!  When I go to the car and told hubby about it, he said it was probably for the people picking up their UPS packages.  Since we aren't buying anything, the owner probably thought we should tip the clerk who reaches under the counter, checks our picture id and hands us the package.  I don't consider that to be a "service" and since I'm sure UPS pays the store....I won't be putting anything in that tip jar.  So, what are your thoughts? 

Respected Contributor

Tip jars are becoming all too common.  I recently went through a drive-thru and there was a tip jar at the window.../shrug

Respected Contributor

The store is providing a service to you by accepting & holding your packages for you.  I would leave a tip.

Honored Contributor

On the other hand, the dress shop is offering a free service that does require some time and effort (and space) to do this above and beyond selling what they sell.  They aren't asking a fee (which they could) but are asking for donations.  I don't find it outrageous in this circumstance at all.... and I DO find tip jars in shops for employees doing what they're paid to do anyway a personal affront, so I'm not necessarily for tip jars.....  but in this case I am, it's an extra service being offered that may have expanded (for the owner) more than they expected and is taking more time out of the employee's day to label, store and retrieve....   JMHO  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

I doubt even if there is some compensation between UPS and the store's owner that the actual staff member doing the actual work gets anything from that.  This is a tricky one.  

To you it may be a two second thing.  But for the actual staff person doing it, having to stop, take time away from what you are doing to step aside to do something even as minor as this, is annoying and can be time consuming.  You may be one person who takes two seconds but when you get a run of 5-6 more people behind you who may not be as quick about it, it can become more than you think it is for that person.  

I am assuming this is not part of the dress shop's regular service and they are just allowing you the courtesy of using their address?  If so, I honestly would not be put off giving a buck here and there depending on how often I used the place just as an acknowledgement that they are receiving and keeping an eye on my package until I come and get it.  I personally would gladly pay a $1 a delivery just for piece of mind as a thank you.

Or, bringing in a box of cookies or donuts every once in a while to the staff if you really hate the tip jar also is a good way to get the thank you across.     

Respected Contributor

Re: Regarding tips.......

[ Edited ]

Well that would kind of surprize me too.

Knowing my nosy self, I would call UPS and ask them about whether they pay the store(s) to become an access point. If that is the case, I wouldn't leave the tip.

The program is called UPS Access Point.  Supposedly  it gives the store(s) more foot traffic which may increase their business.  The store applied to become an Access Point, it wasn't forced on them so expecting tips is just preying on the good nature of people.

If it is becoming too time consuming for their staff, then they should remove themselves from the program. I understand it probably could get quite busy with this extra duty. I remember years ago when some local stores used to accept payments for electric bills, gas bills, phone bills, etc and eventually most of them stopped providing that service.
Esteemed Contributor

@Q4u wrote:

On the other hand, the dress shop is offering a free service that does require some time and effort (and space) to do this above and beyond selling what they sell.  They aren't asking a fee (which they could) but are asking for donations.  I don't find it outrageous in this circumstance at all.... and I DO find tip jars in shops for employees doing what they're paid to do anyway a personal affront, so I'm not necessarily for tip jars.....  but in this case I am, it's an extra service being offered that may have expanded (for the owner) more than they expected and is taking more time out of the employee's day to label, store and retrieve....   JMHO  

Would have to ask, who gets the tip?  Is it the clerk who helps the customer or the shop owner? 

I have to say I think these tip jars has gotten out of hand.  If the shop is incurring additional expenses because of the time handeling the packages, they need to either add a handling charge or stop accepting packages for others.  If they are providing a service they expect to get paid for, then charge the customers for it, don't guilt them into paying.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

i dont mind seeing and/or contributing to tip jars, especially if someone is providing a service. i NEVER feel forced to contribute.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

i dont mind seeing and/or contributing to tip jars, especially if someone is providing a service. i NEVER feel forced to contribute.

So when you see a tip jar you do not feel that there is some expectation to make a contribution?  That is the whole psychology behind them.  If that was not the purpose, do you tip all service providers even if there is not a tip jar?

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

It's a Dress Shop offering another service to people who are not necessarily  customers - why not tip?

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow