Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

i dont mind seeing and/or contributing to tip jars, especially if someone is providing a service. i NEVER feel forced to contribute.

So when you see a tip jar you do not feel that there is some expectation to make a contribution?  That is the whole psychology behind them.  If that was not the purpose, do you tip all service providers even if there is not a tip jar?

no, i dont find that there is an "expectation" to make a contribution.....and i dont judge anyone who does or doesnt make a contribution. yes, i tip some service providers even if there isnt a tip jar.....some service providers that others may not feel the need to tip. i think it is a personal judgement call for everyone. it really is everyones own business who gets a  tip and who doesnt.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

I never feel pressured or "guilted" into tipping but this situation does appear to be different in that the dress shop is providing a special service beyond what they do.  Much like I used to tip the UPS person after he delivered several packages in a short period of time, I might just leave a tip if that is in fact what the tip jar is designated for.   

Hmmm.  Tip jars all over the place?  Maybe I should have placed a tip jar on my office desk when I provided a service for the public ??

Respected Contributor

Re: Regarding tips.......

[ Edited ]

No one has ever guilted me into leaving money in a tip jar.  I do it because I want to.

If a store was doing me a favor by securing and holding my packages, I'd be more than happy to tip them.  I'm surprised they do not charge $1per package for the service.

Regular Contributor

It is a service the shop has provided and I would certainly leave a tip.What sense of relief you have that you don't have to worry about your package being left at your door or someone watching and releaves you of your problem by taking and enjoying your free gift to them.....Tipping is a choice but most of the time it is well deserved....

Honored Contributor

Normally I don't respond to these kinds of threads, but just couldn't resist this one. 

First I think it would take a lot of nerve yo expect a dress shop where I never shop in to be responsible for accepting any of my UPS deliveries.  Have a question for you......did you ask the Manager if it would be alright for you to use their services under your conditions?????? 

I think it would be very considerate of you to leave a tip every time you go to pick up your packages you have had delivered there.  If you don't do that, I think you are taking advantage of a business that you don't think is good enough for you to shop in and make purchases from them

Respected Contributor

I guess I don't understand why you won't have things delivered to your home or place of business, or a friend/family member.  Even use something like Mail Boxes, etc.

So she does the UPS thing as a courtesy for people that don't even purchase her services?  She does this for free and gets nothing out of it?  TIP HER!

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't want the dress shop/or any other business knowing what  I buy/or the frequency. So you put their address when you shop on-line. How does it work?

They are providing a service imo.

Honored Contributor

Re: Regarding tips.......

[ Edited ]

@Allegheny wrote:

Well that would kind of surprize me too.

Knowing my nosy self, I would call UPS and ask them about whether they pay the store(s) to become an access point. If that is the case, I wouldn't leave the tip.

The program is called UPS Access Point.  Supposedly  it gives the store(s) more foot traffic which may increase their business.  The store applied to become an Access Point, it wasn't forced on them so expecting tips is just preying on the good nature of people.

If it is becoming too time consuming for their staff, then they should remove themselves from the program. I understand it probably could get quite busy with this extra duty. I remember years ago when some local stores used to accept payments for electric bills, gas bills, phone bills, etc and eventually most of them stopped providing that service.

It's kinda/sorta like tipping the grocery store checkout person because they sold you a book of stamps.  Or asking for 'cash back' since the Bank Is closed.  It's not a tip-able service. 

Now....if you're tapping on the door the nano-second they close....or asking to use their dressing rooms to try on your freshly delivered Demin & Co. Hoodie, THEN maybe throw a buck in the jar.  If not, nope...they've agreed  to provide this service to you.  

Honored Contributor

Since they are providing a service that I choose to use I would certainly tip them.

Trusted Contributor

Last week my car was in the garage. While we were on vacation, we got side-swiped by a city bus; it was the bus driver's fault and she was cited. Our insurance company waived our deductible, so we paid nothing.

The garage people did a wonderful job on my car. I picked my car up last Friday and, honestly, it looks beautiful. 

On Tuesday morning, I stopped at Dunkin Donuts on my way to work for a dozen donuts and dropped them off at the garage. I told them that I appreciated their hard work and their efforts to my car. The men came out of the dept and each one gave me a hug! They really appreciated that I thought of them. And I appreciated the excellent work they did on my car.