Honored Contributor

Re: Reference check problem

[ Edited ]

How can the former employee know  they were not hired due to your neighbor's reference? So your neighbor allegedly gave a personal view of her former employee?  I thought only personal references are the ones who give that, NOT employers. (meaning employers can only verify employment dates)

Honored Contributor

So when I leave an employer reference do I leave the HR person or my boss?

Valued Contributor

@Smaug wrote:

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

A neighbor of ours got herself into a pickle!

She was informed yesterday to hire legal consult.  She gave a phone reference for a former employee where she works and now the former employee is suing.

He (the former employee) feels that the reference caused him to lose a job offer.

The company and my neighbor have both been named in the lawsuit.  Her employer told her that providing the reference was not in the scope of her position so she is on her own.

Even I know (and I am NOT in HR or legal) that the ONLY info to be provided in a reference check is:

-Did they work there? yes or no

-When did they work there? dates

-Position held

Any other info can be liable.

I offered her sympathy and luck, but I think she is going to have some legal expenses. !!

Now-a-days you have to be careful.

Are you sure? I thought if the information the employer provides is without malice and is true that it is fine. 

Often employers are overly cautious. A former employee needs the former employer to provide more information to the potential employer and the former employer is reluctant to provide it. 

http://career-advice.monster.com/job-search/getting-started/what-can-employers-legally-say/article.a...

Good info @Say Nay.

Respected Contributor

@missy1 wrote:

So when I leave an employer reference do I leave the HR person or my boss?

It depends on your employer.

For example: in my case my current employer and previous employer will only provide confirmation of employment to those who pay for the information.

If we receive a call from a company looking for a reference on a previous employee we are to hand the call off to HR who then provides the information on how to get confirmation of employment and the fees.  We are to give NO information out, we can be terminated for doing so.

I had one employer that would only provide a reference after the person (job seeker) completed and signed a "release of information"  and for potential new hires we had to have permission signed before we would contact their references before offering a job.  !

When I am asked to provide references I only provide names and personal numbers and email addresses (not work contact info) of people I used to work with who are no longer working at that employer.  These are people who can personally provide information about my professionalism and experiences.

If they wish to verify my previous employment that is up to them, I know exactly what they are going to get and what it costs.