Honored Contributor

Re: Red Heart Yarn for Afghan colors

@MKR14 

i'm a knitter and prefer the fabric it makes

my friend has been a crocheter for decades and makes many charity baby blankets booties etc

many have tried to teach her knitting (before computers) and she didn't get it 

idk if it is bc she is lefthanded and had to do everything the opposite

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Yahooey @ When a friend of mine taught me to knit I am right handed and thought she was also. Until 30 years later when another friend told me I knit left handed I told her I didn't. But she showed me the right handed way and I was doing it left handed. It still looked like my friends except I would have never known if she had told me. Funny.

I used to knit hats for the newborns in our local hospital for years. They were quick and easy and always appreciated. 

Honored Contributor

@MKR14 I just remembered the Lion Brand yarn I loved is called Homespun. I made so many afghans with it, still my favorite of all the yarns I used for afghans.

Honored Contributor

I've got some yarn on order now too.  Think the orange and yellow gold I've just set out, will be my next lap blanket, or throw.  So bright, may need my sun glasses to do this one.  But I wanted these bright vivid colors.  What fun!!  

Honored Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@MKR14 I just remembered the Lion Brand yarn I loved is called Homespun. I made so many afghans with it, still my favorite of all the yarns I used for afghans.

I like Homespun too and have used it to make lap robes, shawls and scarves.  I also like Lion Brand's "Scarfie" yarn.  Similar to Homespun but I find it a bit easier to work with.

Esteemed Contributor

@Yahooey wrote:

@Love my grandkids @MKR14 @Biftu 

I only knew the knit and purl stitch from a gazillion years ago -that was it

can't pick up dropped stitches, cast on or bind off

fast forward to 2 years ago - there was a knitting event at a park

they provided needles and yarn - so i did the garter stitch (didn't know it was garter)

decided I wanted to give it another go at knitting

watched a lot of youtube videos and taught myself to knit

I'm not a fast knitter and only do 1 project at a time

I still have to finish my niece's socks (xmas gift) her foot was longer than I thought

I will be seeing her in 2 weeks and hoping that the fit is better so I can bindoff and start a new project

happy knitting

@Yahooey  I have been knitting since I was a little girl and yet I still have trouble if I drop a stitch and if I have to rip out rows I never seem to pick up the stitches properly.  I would love to find a class that teaches how to fix mistakes.  Fingers always crossed I don't make any mistakes while doing my project.

Honored Contributor

@Biftu 

i learned how to tink back instead of ripping

i only ripped if it is multiple rows with cross overs and i can't use a crochet hook as in the stockinette stitch

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MKR14 - I taught myself to crochet from a book I got from the library and I love it!

I can knit, but only a dish cloth or scarf. It sounds like you are very proficient in both. 

Thank you for the information on the pattern - I went to the website, but the only pattern I could find like yours was only 36"x 36", which is very small, baby sized, so I'm not sure I have the right one??

Is this a continuous one or do you have to sew squares together?  I really like the looks of it and hope you get the colors you need!

edit - I read some newer posts in which you mentioned it is crocheted in one piece and that you made it bigger, so those questions are answered!

I also wish we had a craft board to post on!

Respected Contributor

https://daisyfarmcrafts.com/crochet-pink-gingham-blanket/

This is the site for the gingham Afghan and it will show the video as well as the pattern. I bookmarked mine and saved to my Pinterest account.

@HerRoyaLioness Hope this helps and you give it a try. This site also has a free newsletter they will send you with new patterns. It is run by a mothers and her two daughters.

I didn't use the Caron Simply Soft yarn as she did as I tried it and it was too thin for what I wanted.

Goid luck and post what colors any of you do if you try it.

You can do a sample -as she shows in the video- with any extra colors you have left around from other projects before you invest in the yarn.