Esteemed Contributor

Re: Recliner Shopping................

Bumping up..............

Honored Contributor

On 8/4/2014 sophiamarie said:

BTW John: If you are so particular about your recliners, how long have you had yours?? I have read reviews where people have theirs for over 25 years and are still going strong. Sounds to me as though you have gone through many.....

Hi sophiamarie,

I have bought 4 recliners. One of them I returned because of manufacturing material failure. It was replaced with a different brand from the same furniture store here in our city. I still have the leather one that was the first one I bought probably in 1986. I used it until we moved into our very huge home as there was not enough room in our town home for 2 of them. I don't believe 4 chairs in 2 homes over close to 30 years is considered "to have gone through many", quite the opposite.

Right now we have 3 recliners, 2 in our 4 season patio room and 1 in our basement Home Entertainment Center, along with a Love Seat and Couch matching pair. I found out about what to look for underneath after I returned the one I mentioned above. The son of a hockey friend of mine repaired furniture for that store. He took me into his repair area and showed me what to look for when buying a recliner that I thought would fit my needs and comfort levels. Amazing how cheap some of these name brand chairs are made and he told me which generic brands were built the best.

In the many months I've spent in my "2nd home/hospital", at times I had to go to another floor to get the recliner that fit my needs. I knew most of the nurses on the Critical Care/Heart Floor, and they were aware that I knew which chairs worked best for me. Most of them were some type of leather/vinyl combo, but I always put a sheet(sometimes a blanket)over them to keep the covering sweat away from me. Those were also the ones with the buttons that controlled the recline of the chair and then locked the recline angle in place.

hckynut(john)
Occasional Contributor

Qwackertoo, my couch is fabric Flexsteel and husband's recliner is Flexsteel leather with nail heads. They are so darn comfortable, have worn well and I would buy Flexsteel again in an instant. Actually, probably wouldn't purchase anything else. Both have seen many nights of rest due to surgeries, etc. and have held up way beyond my expectations. They make a great product.

Super Contributor

On 8/5/2014 Page2 said:

Qwackertoo, my couch is fabric Flexsteel and husband's recliner is Flexsteel leather with nail heads. They are so darn comfortable, have worn well and I would buy Flexsteel again in an instant. Actually, probably wouldn't purchase anything else. Both have seen many nights of rest due to surgeries, etc. and have held up way beyond my expectations. They make a great product.

Thanks for the positive endorsement of Flexsteel, Page2~! Years ago, a furniture store owner showed me what to look for when buying case goods and upholstered furniture . . . and he was a strong supporter of Flexsteel and their quality!!! When the time is right . . . those 2 Lazyboys are outta here!!!!

Super Contributor

Any I have found are sized for men. I would love one for a petite woman!

BTW, the problem with Flexsteel is you can't kill it. So, be prepared to love it forever, or hand it down like we did.

Super Contributor

On 8/5/2014 PuppyBreath said:

Any I have found are sized for men. I would love one for a petite woman!

BTW, the problem with Flexsteel is you can't kill it. So, be prepared to love it forever, or hand it down like we did.

Well, that might be a good thing . . . I find my husband to be like my maternal grandfather in that he has a hard time throwing stuff away!!! I have to slip stuff out via trash day or pick up via Purple Heart . . . or else he seems to find it and "RESCUES" it from the trash or the donation pile. hahahahaha