Respected Contributor

Re: Recall on bosch dishwashers

Oh Bosch, so quiet but such a pain to deal wth .   For some reason that do not have enough repairman certified do warrenty or recall work.  I know lots of people with problematic Bosch machines and they all have the same story no matter where they live they have to wait weeks/months until the service man is in their area and you better be available that day or wait until the next visit the following month.

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Just a little background info first: We bought a dishwasher from Sears a few years ago (can't recall the brand; might have been a Bosch). We normally don't do extended warranties, but thank goodness we did. To make a long story shorter, we eventually had it replaced as a lemon under our warranty. It took months of haggling and screaming.

Sears funded us money to replace it. We chose a KitchenAid. Within a year we'd already had several service calls. A few months ago, it started to fall apart and then died totally. The service guy just about moved in, he was here so often replacing every darn part imaginable.

So a couple weeks ago, once again, Sears deemed it a lemon and funded yet another dishwasher. We went with Bosch again this time, fingers crossed. We liked the features and figured that all of them are problematic in our house. We've only had it a short time, but I do very much like the model we chose.

Moral of the story: Get the extended warranty. It's worked twice for us.

I should add that we will not have to deal with Bosch if there are problems. With our extended warranty from Sears, they handle any problems. And we have always been happy with their service.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3, I am in Canada.  Sears has requested permission to liqudate all of their stores here.  Permission was granted.  Anyone that bought an appliance with an extended warranty could get their money back if it was bought within the last 30 days.  Anyone else was out of luck.  Warranty not honoured and no refund.  I hope your Sears is not on the closure list.  LM

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

In 2016, we bought our Bosch dishwasher at Lowes. When we bought it, for some reason, DH agreed to the longer warranty. About a year or so later, earlier this year, the dishwasher died and, when we started checking things out, we found the blackened junction box in the cabinet next to the dishwasher. Everything, including the outside of the box was black.

I called Lowes immediately. They messed around for a couple of days and then called me back. They couldn't find anybody in the area who was willing to work on Bosch dishwashers; that doesn't really surprise me because our appliance repair-weenie had told me that he would never work on Bosch as they were just too darn complicated. So they agreed to return every penny we paid for the dishwasher. We had paid a little over $800 for that dishwasher and they sent us a check for the entire cost. That meant that they had acknowledged the warranty in full and it was now done. 

Meanwhile, our electrician was here and DH asked him to take a look at the dishwasher and the junction box. He looked around everything and said, "I think I can fix this!" He bought new parts and, for $40, he repaired the dishwasher. So, in essence, we got a brand new Bosch dishwasher for about $40!

I highly doubt that Bosch would do anything at this point. And that's pretty much OK with us. I mean, Lowes returned the money we spent on the dishwasher. I think that's all we can expect.

And the dishwasher is operating beautifully!

Respected Contributor

I had appliances that lasted for years, like maybe 20 and never had a repair, those days are gone.  I was told by someone that if you get 7-10 years from a appliance today, you're lucky.  Like someone else on the thread said, it costs $150 for a serviceman just to come out, it's really expensive.  I was lucky when my refrigertor died the last time it was 10 years old and I didn't call the repair man, I just replaced it and just looked for a great sale.  When my range's self cleaning lock stopped working I called someone to replace and they stopped making the part.  I could've cleaned it myself but I wasn't doing that, I just waited for good sale and bought another range.  When my dishwasher died I bought a very basic dishwasher, didn't spend a lot of money on it.  We'll be moving next year to a new house and when I pick out my appliances, I just get what they offer, I'm not spending lots of money upgrading since I don't think it's worth it.   I'll probably get the extented warranty on them.  I have a friend that had one of those subzero refrigerators, paid $10,000 for it, well after 10 years it died and she had to replace it.  She thought because she spent so much money on it, it would last, wrong!  Again it doesn't matter, they don't make appliances to last.  I think you should get what you want but it doesn't matter how much money your spend on an appliance, they don't make them like they used to!

Respected Contributor

We've had 2 Bosch with no problems whatsoever.  We bought our son & DIL one as well.  They run theirs at least once a day and again no problems.  I've never spoken to anyone who has had problems.  

Respected Contributor

I like the old fashioned dishwashers. Unless GFB. I hurt my hands or arms. I know that my dishes are clean the first time. I had a electric dishwasher to help me , just became more trouble than it was worth, not to add the cost of the special things that had to be added. I aways think about when I'm exhausted but I still would rather have the extra cabinet space and I don't want the worry of it springing a leak either.