Valued Contributor

To all of you who have sold or selling a house, do you hear from your realtor lister regularly or only if they have a showing. I am so flustered by this, I don't hear from my realtor only if I call him. Do they all just list a house put it on realtor.c and Zillow and then wait? Maybe I expect too much? Thanks for any thoughts. 

Honored Contributor

I really think it depends on your agent.  

Respected Contributor

I sold a house last April 2016.  Even though we had a buyer within the first three days of listing ( at first open house), our realtor always kept us up to date by calling and email.  She was very good about that, very thorough. 

Honored Contributor

When I listed my parents house I went with a highly recommended realtor and I heard nothing from him, ever.  Not a showing, not an open house, nothing.  I had signed a 6 month contract that I was able to get out of because of his lack of interest.

I relisted with another agent and it was sold the first weekend.

Honored Contributor

Keep in contact with them. Two family home experiences have taught us this.  They post on line now, and set back and wait for things to happen.  If you want an open house, set it up for your realtor to do.  Realtors don't always call back when you want them to.  

Respected Contributor

Re: Realty question

[ Edited ]

There's an old saying that goes something like this........"I'd rather be someone's second Realtor and the third spouse".   By then, all paries will have learned some lessons, grown up and matured,  or are just ready to quit failing at what they attempt.

Often the second agent  to list a particular home doesn't work any more magic or marketing skill than the first one did, but buyers and their agents tend to think the seller  who has relisted with someone else has "finally" gotten serious about selling and the buyer thus  could get a better bargain on the property.  

What I found is that the second Realtor often  has a better chance of convincing the seller to price the property more appropriately than the first one did, if overpricing was the reason it didn't sell.

It might not have been the first agent's fault that the house didn't sell.........it could have been the seller's fault (and there are many mistakes that sellers can make to sabotage their sale).  Perhaps now the seller is ready to turn over a new leaf  and can accept the advice being given--even if it's the very same advice he was given the first time by someone else.

There isn't much excuse, however, for an agent who doesn't keep in touch regularly with sellers to update them on buyer and agent feedback about the home, changes in the local market and their competition, etc.

Esteemed Contributor

@Limbo4now wrote:

To all of you who have sold or selling a house, do you hear from your realtor lister regularly or only if they have a showing. I am so flustered by this, I don't hear from my realtor only if I call him. Do they all just list a house put it on realtor.c and Zillow and then wait? Maybe I expect too much? Thanks for any thoughts. 

I have sold two homes and we just got done selling my mother's home.  Your realtor should keep in contact with you, even if there is not much to say.  They can tell you other homes that have sold in the area, or phone calls they have received on your listing.  Too many realtors just list the home and wait for something to happen -- those are the lazy ones.  Anyone can post pictures online with a description and selling price.  A good realtor has to go above and beyond that to get your home sold.  That is the only way I think they truly deserve the commsion they get.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Respected Contributor

Re: Realty question

[ Edited ]

The last time we sold a house we called all the local realtors (quite a few!) and told them we were going to sell. We then had a day they could come by and look at the house (moved out and painted and cleaned etc) and give us their best info. That was fun....they al showed up (giving each other the hairy eyeball lol) and gave us their best shot (how much they thought we should ask and what % they were planing to take..... you can negotiate their commission ) and we settled with the one we liked best with great local recs and sold for way more than we anticipated....real estate where the house was is totally crazy and we had a bidding war. We were very happy doing it this way instead of just talking to one realtor.. Competition gets you a better salesman, deal and more $ in your pocket. Oh and we heard from them almost daily.They wanted to sell our house! If you are not getting good service change when your listing expires with this guy. Talk to other realtors. Good luck!

Trusted Contributor

Any realtor who considers themselves a true professional will be communicative.

My sister just put her house on the market with a young "hip" realtor who got the house on some fancy video site w/music and 360 panaromas of each room. Took days for him to get it on MLS sites. Never put a sign in the front yard. Didn't keep in touch. Got an offer early, but days before closing the buyers walked away. Sister insisted realtor put up a yard sign. Lots of drive-by traffic with multiple showings. Many people said "we had no idea your house was for sale -- there was no yard sign!" New buyers saw house from street, offered above asking, deal has gone through.

I worked with a realtor who had been in business for many years. Red hot market, didn't have to do much but used traditional methods. She kept in touch.

It depends on the agent, as others have said.

Respected Contributor

We have bought/sold 4 houses using RE agents. Not a one of them deserved their commission imo.  That is why when we downsize, we are selling FSBO.  From not returning phone calls, not getting feed back when there was a showing. Missing scheduled showings, Lying, lack of integrity. I could go on and on. No, you are not expecting too much to hear from your realtor. It is what they should be doing.  They are the supposed professionals.