Honored Contributor

Re: Really bad situation with USPS

I have an Etsy shop and shipped all of my holiday orders as of Monday the 14th.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they all arrive on time but I did message all customers about the serious USPS shipping delays along with their tracking numbers.

It's been such a bad year.  I spoke wih my mail carrier last week and he told me that not only do they have more packages than ever, but many are calling out sick....a recipe for many long delays.

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

I mailed a package last Thursday, to go one town over.  Today is Tuesday and it's still sitting in the distribution center in Atlanta.  It's been there since Late Thursday night. 

Who knows when it will get there. One town over. 

@gidgetgh I shipped a package on Dec. 1 going one town over for me too...took 12 days to arrive.  It went Priority.

I ordered something from a small shop in Philly.  Last I checked it's at a distribution center in Florida...I'm in the Philly suburbs.

Honored Contributor

I signed up for the USPS informed delivery service where they send you an email each day showing the mail coming to you. According to informed delivery, I have a package arriving today from Amazon. They don't seem to know they already delivered it on Sunday. They're having a few issues with things this holiday season.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Valued Contributor

The pandemic has hit the USPS workforce hard.  There is not only increased demand on a service that is under staffed but they are becoming ill.  Over 23,000 USPS employees have tested positive since the beginning of the pandemic.  More than 14,000 USPS employees are currently under quarantine due to potential COVID-19 exposure.  One out of every 100 USPS employees currently has the virus. That's over 7,000 employees.

Honored Contributor

@songbird wrote:

Last week I ordered a sweater the Ann Taylor.  I sent it via USPS.  I received a notification from USPS saying that it will arvive late.  That was 5 days ago.  I have not received the package.  I finally reached a live person at Ann Taylor.  They told me to wait another week before calling back.  Today I received another notification from USPS that a ring I ordered from ShopHQ will be running late.  The same message as before for the other item. So I fully expect to wait a week or so for this one.  I can't reach anyone at the USPS.  They just leave a recorded message saying the delay is because of COVID and few handlers at the post office.  Not my day.....

USPS is overloaded with packages and holiday mail. So are UPS and FedEx.  Nothing is on time. This is how it'll be for a while.  Calling USPS is a waste of time.  You just have to wait.

Respected Contributor

@haddon9   I've always had great success ordering from Etsy vendors, domestic and a few overseas.  My final order from one was placed Dec. 4th for real bayberry votive candles, scheduled to ship by the 15th.

It was shipped on the 7th from Winfield, PA to be received the 10th, according to the label, and I received it from my USPS carrier this Monday afternoon, the 14th.

It was raining so hard that she wouldn't leave it out in the rain and waited for me to open the door and slip my arm around the frame to take it.  She looked exhausted but still managed to give me a cheery "Hello, Ms. Aroc" and I thanked her and told her to be careful.

All the different processing and delivery people are doing the best they can, in my opinion, and I give them great credit for continuing to do their utmost under the exhausting, relentless grind during extraordinary circumstances.

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Esteemed Contributor

We were all warned months ago that shipping would be unreliable during the holidays. Heck, it's unreliable all other months of the year too!   It's just much worse right now.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

Just did my daily tracking, LOL, of the package I sent to my friend just one town over.

I mailed it on 12/10. It left my post office and made it to the Atlanta distribution center that night.

It's still at the distribution center this morning, 6 days later. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@50Mickey wrote:

@gidgetgh wrote:

I mailed a package last Thursday, to go one town over.  Today is Tuesday and it's still sitting in the distribution center in Atlanta.  It's been there since Late Thursday night. 

Who knows when it will get there. One town over. 

@gidgetgh   I have 2 packages in the Atlanta distribution center that I mailed to my daughter in Chicago. I keep getting messages that the delivery is delayed. But no tracking history. Unfortunately packages go to this center and are never heard from again. My daughter has a package that she ordered before thanksgiving for my granddaughter. It has been at the distribution center for 3 weeks.  Tracking history stops once it get there. The reviews on this distribution center are horrific. I took a package to UPS this morning. Hoping it will at least get out of Atlanta. 

@50Mickey - I read somewhere that the Atlanta dist center has a ton of staff out right now.  

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@aroc3435 I'm so glad to hear that your package arrived for you in a timely manner! 

I do really feel for the mail carriers.  Mine is great!  He comes to my porch and picks up my packages...sometimes several times a week.  I know that's part of his job but he's always so upbeat, poistive and efficent.  I plan on givng him an Amazon gift card.

I've had many wonderful and thoughtul customers over the years on Etsy!  Thank you for supporting Etsy sellers! Smiley Happy