Contributor

Re: Really bad situation with USPS

Here's what I'm experiencing, package was supposed to be here Sat. 13th. went through Birmingham mail facility, came to the postal facility that is located about 5 miles from me on Sat., only to be sent back to Birmingham on Sun. and now it says it's going to be late, and in transit to destination, tues. and still no package.  Why would they do this, it just doesn't make any sense. Just crazy!!

Respected Contributor

Considering the amount of mail and packages the USPS handles I think they do an admirable job. And now vaccines.  Give 'em a break.

Respected Contributor

I posted the following in a related thread (didn't see this one, so I responded to an older one on this topic):

Following up ... there is an article in The Washington Post today about how the USPS is getting slammed with mail this season. 

As Americans increasingly shop online because of the coronavirus pandemic, private express carriers FedEx and UPS have cut off delivery service for some retailers, sending massive volumes of packages to the Postal Service.

That has led to widespread delays and pushed the nation’s mail agency to the brink. Postal employees are reporting mail and package backlogs across the country, and working vast amounts of overtime hours that have depleted morale during another surge of coronavirus infections nationwide.

“We’re really gridlocked all over the place,” said a Postal Service transportation manager in Ohio, who like others in this report spoke on the condition of anonymity to avoid retribution. “It’s bad. I’ve never seen it like this before.

“UPS and FedEx have shut us off. Nobody can keep up right now, but we don’t have the luxury of turning people down. They’re sitting on so much mail right now that it’s almost one day at a time in these facilities.”

Link to entire story: USPS ‘gridlocked’ as historic crush of holiday packages sparks delays 

Respected Contributor

I will also add that I have seen mail carriers out many evenings past 8:00 pm (when we walk our dog), still delivering mail and packages in the dark, wearing headlamps so they can see what they're doing. I don't think they are using COVID or anything else as an "excuse" -- they are absolutely overwhelmed.

Respected Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

I mailed a package last Thursday, to go one town over.  Today is Tuesday and it's still sitting in the distribution center in Atlanta.  It's been there since Late Thursday night. 

Who knows when it will get there. One town over. 

@gidgetgh   I have 2 packages in the Atlanta distribution center that I mailed to my daughter in Chicago. I keep getting messages that the delivery is delayed. But no tracking history. Unfortunately packages go to this center and are never heard from again. My daughter has a package that she ordered before thanksgiving for my granddaughter. It has been at the distribution center for 3 weeks.  Tracking history stops once it get there. The reviews on this distribution center are horrific. I took a package to UPS this morning. Hoping it will at least get out of Atlanta. 

Respected Contributor

Considering the amount of mail and packages the USPS handles I think they do an admirable job. And now vaccines.  Give 'em a break.

Not only that, the PO and UPS have begged for people to hire on doing extra help in delivering packages.  I am also waiting for deliveries, however, they can only handle so much at once.

I really appreciate all the delivery men and women!

Respected Contributor

The problem is not with the mail carriers. It's these large distribution centers where all the mail has to go through. They have closed so many in recent years. When I lived in Savannah, GA the distribution center was closed and all mail coming to and leaving Savannah had to be sent to Jacksonville, sorted and then sent out. If I mailed a birthday card to a neighbor it had to first go through Jacksonville and then back to Savannah.  I don't mind delays. It's when all tracking stops after the your delivery may be delayed.  That seems to be the death knell for a package. 

Respected Contributor

@FranandZoe wrote:

I agree @FranandZoe .  I read today they are delivering 3 billion packages this holiday season.  Last year it was 2.2 billion (with no virus).

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just received a call back from USPS.  Finally I got a response.  My 5 day late package is sitting in a post office (not mine) about 7 miles away.  They are going to try and retrieve it and send it to my post office.  I don't why it's sitting there.  Apparently since Dec 11.  I don't know if it was an error or not.  I'm glad I tried to call them.  I don't know how many more it would have sat there.  Good luck with anyone buying jewelry (QVC is guaranteeing it will arrive before Christmas.  No way!!!

Honored Contributor

I blame Covid for much of this.