Esteemed Contributor

Re: Reading this may give you a bit of hope

@Alison Wonderland wrote:

He's contradicting most other scientists. This feels a lot like listening to the small percentage of scientists who say climate change isn't a big deal instead of the vast majority who agree it is.

Hope is good, but I worry about things that feel like false hope. One guy disagreeing with the majority feels like a red flag to me.

He is living in the theater of the absurd. Why they let him speak is beyond me.?

Esteemed Contributor

@dex wrote:

I couldn't read the story...said I reached my limit.

@dex,  clear your browser cookies and the limit will be reset.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

@dex 

Google the article.

It's from The Seattle Times

3-22-2020

The title is

Why this Nobel laureate predicts a quicker coronavirus recovery: ‘We’re going to be fine’

Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

I couldn't read the story...said I reached my limit.

@dex     They give you so many free reads and then unless you are subscribing to the paper... you have to pay for reading the paper on line. Sorry. 

Esteemed Contributor

@apple1964 wrote:

He is living in the theater of the absurd. Why they let him speak is beyond me.?

Because we haven't outlawed independent thought or completely muzzled free speech quite yet.

Respected Contributor

His main focus seems to be there needs to be social distancing mandates in place  and I don't think all the states are doing that.  plus he admits his figures are messy. I think his specialty is chemistry?

Honored Contributor

@Marp @Thanks so much..

I love this place with such wonderful helpful people.I would be so lonely right now if it weren't for all of you.

Respected Contributor

@apple1964 wrote:

He's contradicting most other scientists. This feels a lot like listening to the small percentage of scientists who say climate change isn't a big deal instead of the vast majority who agree it is.

Hope is good, but I worry about things that feel like false hope. One guy disagreeing with the majority feels like a red flag to me.

First Amendment of the US Constitution

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Esteemed Contributor

Social distancing and cleanliness are key. Glad source mentioned this. The sooner, the better. I think our country could have done this sooner. My opinion. 

I'm not seeing panic. There's different levels of panic, so I'm not sure what people mean when they talk about panic. I'm also not blaming media.

We'll always have our nervous Neds and Nellies in society. I'm just overlooking extreme emotions by finding sources I trust and following these.

Nervous and anxious people I know have been nervous and anxious during this time. The optimists (some are happy, head in the sand folks) have been slower to get on the 'take precautions' train and are struggling with the lack of peopling. The calm folks I know are staying informed and level headed. They aren't having fun, but they aren't talking a lot about the negatives. People are who they are. No surprises. 

I hope and trust our summer months will be brighter days and we'll surface with more grateful spirits. I expect to take the things I learned about healthier living into my better days.        

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

@apple1964 wrote:

I'm not sure we're talking about the same person. I'm talking about the scientist from the article SeaMaiden posted.