Honored Contributor

Random thought on instant gratification

I was watching part of a Burt Wolf travelogue tv show, and was reminded that some European cathedrals might have taken as long as 600 years to complete - beginning about the 1200s and ending in the 1800s.

It rather puts into perspective how human beings have altered their view of what is possible and how soon to expect whatever "it" might be.

I've had a crush on the handsome Mr. Wolf for a long time. ;-)  Anybody else?

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: Random thought on instant gratification

[ Edited ]

yes, it is amazing how buildings were made back then - the original designer would never see the completed version!

two of my favorite books (they are fiction, but the author really did his research) are The Pillars of the Earth and World Without End by Ken Follett, which cronicles the building of cathedral (with some mysteries along the way) starting in the 12th century and ending up in the 14th century.  The amazing details of life back then and the work put into building such structures is really interesting

There is a 3rd book in the series that is coming out next year, which is set in Queen Elizabeth I's time.  I can't wait

If you can't fix what's broken, you'll go insane ~ Max
Look, I don’t like the taste of broccoli, but it doesn’t get tastier if you call it “Broccoli!”!
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling. ~ Eames
Honored Contributor

@biancardi

I loved Pillars of the Earth.  It's one of my all-time favorites.

I tossed the sequel into the recyling bin, however, once he wrote about the poor three-legged dog being shot with an arrow.  I thought it was a particularly cruel way to start the book.  I can take humans being cruel to each other (and I suppose those times were just filled with it) but I just refuse to read about it being done to animals.  I probably lost some good reading by doing that since I didn't finish the second.

I will try the third and see if he confines the harm to human beings.  

On the Burt Wolf show, he mentioned some Knights Templar who lived in castles high above the Rhine.  He called them "some of the nastiest" folks of the time since they charged outrageous sums to boatmen who were traversing the river and if they didn't pay they would be hurt or even killed.

Trusted Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

I was watching part of a Burt Wolf travelogue tv show, and was reminded that some European cathedrals might have taken as long as 600 years to complete - beginning about the 1200s and ending in the 1800s.

It rather puts into perspective how human beings have altered their view of what is possible and how soon to expect whatever "it" might be.

I've had a crush on the handsome Mr. Wolf for a long time. ;-)  Anybody else?

I thought I read... you had a cush on Wolf Blitzer. Phew...I had a good laugh and then re-read your post. lolSmiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

Well, after reading this, I don't feel so bad............I have spent years renovating and upgrading a house that really isn't so old.............

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

When I saw this title what immediately came into my mind was the reason for so many qvc returns.

Honored Contributor

Good one, @lovescats