Honored Contributor

Re: ROYAL WATCHERS - RULES TO LIVE BY FOR THE MONARCHY

Still loving driving down her own lane.

Related image

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Valued Contributor

I am a big fan of the Queen.  I read the Sally Bedell book.  Though some are archaic and even appear to  be silly, the rules of etiquette and social protocol are an essential part of civilized government.  That way, everyone knows what to do and what is expected in order for matters to proceed smoothly. 

Queen Elizabeth has borne the enormous pressures of the crown with total grace and dignity.   The strength and resolve she has shown is unequaled.  She gave up her life to serve, and she has done an incomparable job.   

QVC Customer Care

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Here is the shortened version of how Elizabeth is announced (trust me, the Wikipedia entry of all her titles is pretty long).  But here's how she just enters a room*:

Eliabeth II, by the Grace of God, of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and of Her other Realms and Territories Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith.

Her father was an Emperor, but Elizabeth never had that title.

* On a formal occasion.  (I'd curtsy too, hearing that.)

Trusted Contributor

I want to add - sorry for not getting it in before - Charles (the Prince of Wales) was asked about the Defender of the Faith title.

He said, he wanted to be Defender of all Faiths.

So that designation is not coming out of the coronation ceremony.  It will be interesting to see if they include some other religions in the coronation.

Honored Contributor

Being a defender of faith isn't really that far fetched. Some of the C of E are now in communion with Rome , and the Anglicans and the Catholics share an old shrine ,dating from the reformation , under the title of Our Lady of Walsingham. They  both have pilgrimages and devotions there

They have a website if any of you are interested

Honored Contributor

What does the title Defender of the Faith mean?

The abbreviation of the title's Latin form, Fidei Defensor, is FD or FID DEF, and this appears on every British coin. The title was first given to King Henry VIII by Pope Leo X after Henry's defence of the Roman Catholic faith against the teachings of Martin Luther.

Honored Contributor

The English church came to be after Henry Vlll was not given an annulment in 1534.

Trusted Contributor

Well, the Defender of the Faith Title doesn' include Roman Catholics, Hindus, every sect of the Islamic faith, Buddhists, and most Protestant sects.  It's pretty exclusive to the CofE.

This is major cognitive dissonance. I like the woman.  I still think her position is out of date.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

Well, the Defender of the Faith Title doesn' include Roman Catholics, Hindus, every sect of the Islamic faith, Buddhists, and most Protestant sects.  It's pretty exclusive to the CofE.

This is major cognitive dissonance. I like the woman.  I still think her position is out of date.

Of course it is, it's England from the 1500's.  It also wasn't meant originally to be for Protestants.

The reality is that no matter what the original says, there is freedom of religion in the UK, just like in America.

You are the one who said Charles wanted to change the wording to Defender of The Faiths, that's a good idea.