Respected Contributor

RIP Elie Wiesel :(

[ Edited ]

What an amazing man.  Rest in peace, Mr. Wiesel.

Holocaust survivor, Nobel Peace Prize laureate and prolific author and outspoken activist. Elie Wiesel died Saturday the age of 87. Wiesel was perhaps best known for his major role in promoting Holocaust education, and for perpetuating the memory of the Holocaust in the post-World War II era with his memoir “Night,” based on his experience as a teenager in the Auschwitz concentration camp.Eliezer “Elie” Wiesel was born on September 30, 1928 in the Romanian town of Sighet, to Sarah and Shlomo Wiesel. His maternal grandfather, Dodye Feig, was a member of the Vishnitz Hasidic sect; his strong influence over Wiesel was seen later in some of his writings. Wiesel received a traditional religious education while growing up in Sighet; many years later, in 2002, he returned to his hometown to dedicate the Elie Weisel Memorial House at the site of his childhood home.
read more: Elie Wiesel, Nobel Peace Prize Laureate and Renowned Holocaust Survivor, Dies at 87 - Israel News - ...

Esteemed Contributor

Oh, no. I so admire him!

Super Contributor

I'm so sorry to hear this. He was such a remarkable man. May his memory be a blessing. The world has lost a true survivor. A real man  of integrity.

Esteemed Contributor

He was the conscience of a generation. May he rest in peace.

Trusted Contributor

There's a special place in heaven for this remarkable man. May he rest in peace.

~Breathe In~ Breathe Out~ Move On~
Trusted Contributor

A true giant among men.  

May his inspirational words about his experiences surviving the Holocause serve as a reminder to all those who treasure freedom that bravery and courage will always prevail against tyranny.

Rest in peace.

Honored Contributor

May he Rest in Peace and enjoy reuniting with his family.  No one should have to go through what they did to get to where they are now.  Blessings to all that fight the fight.  Blessings to all that teach us that struggle.  May we never forget and never let it happen again. 

(I know it happens everyday somewhere, but please not on this thread.) 

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

We should all live life with such meaning and fearlessness.  A hero of a man.

Esteemed Contributor

RIP, Mr. Wiesel.  What a remarkable man.  Thanks for letting us know, Mellie!

Respected Contributor

a light has gone out.  the world should weep for he did so much for humanity.   a truly remarkable man -  perhaps a lamed vav-nik.   z"l