Respected Contributor

I read his book Night and that book still stays with me.

My daughter had to read it as a freshmen in highschool and she started to tell me about the book. Well it was so intense I had to know what happened but she had to read it at the class pace, so I took her book and read it in three hours. Its not that long and I couldn't put it down. It should of been titled Nightmare as I read it I felt as if I was right there and it was a horrific read not to mention what Mr.Wiesel went through to survive.

I think every one should read that book, if just to understand the holocaust better and what life was like back then.

Sleep sweet Bo 3/19/08 8/4/18
Respected Contributor

He was such a gift.

May he sit at the right hand of G-d.

We must never forget.

Honored Contributor

@hsawaknow wrote:

My daughter had to read it as a freshmen in highschool and she started to tell me about the book. Well it was so intense I had to know what happened but she had to read it at the class pace, so I took her book and read it in three hours. Its not that long and I couldn't put it down. It should of been titled Nightmare as I read it I felt as if I was right there and it was a horrific read not to mention what Mr.Wiesel went through to survive.

I think every one should read that book, if just to understand the holocaust better and what life was like back then.

Even though I'm a Gentile, I'm repeatedly drawn to the topic of The Holocaust.  I too read Night.  It's been many years ago though.  I need to read it again.

Respected Contributor

I have always been in awe of this great man. He was a gift.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Esteemed Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@hsawaknow wrote:

Even though I'm a Gentile, I'm repeatedly drawn to the topic of The Holocaust.  I too read Night.  It's been many years ago though.  I need to read it again.

As a Gentle, I agree that no one, no matter their faith should ever forget. 

May he rest in peace.

Trusted Contributor

This saddens me so much! I hate losing great people from this earth and he was certainly one of them. Heaven is lucky to have him.

A friend in need is a friend indeed.
Honored Contributor

From Nobel Peace Prize Speech in 1986:

"I swore never to be silent whenever and wherever human beings endure suffering and humiliation.  We must always take sides.  Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim.  Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented".

I am thankful for his tireless work for all evil performed against any human being.  May he rest in peace.

Esteemed Contributor

I read this earlier and was sorry to hear that. What a great man he was. RIP

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Respected Contributor

“There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.”
― Elie Wiesel 

September 30, 1928 to July 2, 2016
                    R.I.P.

Heart

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Respected Contributor

@hsawaknow wrote:

@hsawaknow, I came to read this book in a similar way. When my son had to read it for school, I read it along with him.  We talked about it for several days, sharing ideas and reactions.  It was a learning experience because it was a catalyst for meaningful discussions about history, war, human nature.  Probably never would've discussed these things at that moment in time with my son if not for this book.  

While we are not Jewish, this was an opportunity for me to talk to him about our Jewish ancestors who came from Austria and for him, Elie Wiesel's experience then became more personal.  There's a good possibility at least some relatives of my maternal grandmother suffered a similar fate during WWII.

Sad to see this news.  RIP Elie Wiesel.