Honored Contributor

Re: RFID protection for new cards?????? Question

I think QVC - and others - lead people to believe all chip cards need RFID protection.  In fact, this isn't true.  You need protection only if you have a "contactless card:" it has a chip but also an embedded antenna.  If you're not sure about your card, contact the issuing bank.  A very small percentage of chip cards are contactless.

Honored Contributor

@esmeraldagooch wrote:

I was very excited to get a new card from the bank with the RFID chips in them.  My old credit card had been a possible victim of fraud and BofA had replaced it with a new card.  Unfortunatly, BofA was still afraid of my new number being used for some reason and refused my use of the new card so I put it away.

Out comes my WF CC.  Well, I went to pay my WF card which also has one of these RFID chips in it and low an behold there was an unauthourised $530.00 charge to Comcast in Chicago that I didn't charge.   Now that card has been shut down and I have another new CC.

Point being?  These chips do nothing to stop people from hacking your accounts.

RFID chips make it easy for hackers to get your info. Get a credit card without the rfid chips.

Super Contributor

Use tin foil in your wallet. Simple and cheap!!
Super Contributor

Last time I saw a presentation of the RFID protection wallet/purse there was a small disclaimer on the screen which said something like "not all cards have the RFID" blah blah.  They must be trying to not be so misleading.

The new EMV gold chips don't have full protection in the US yet.  The cards really need to be associated with a Pin # for full protection. 

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

I think QVC - and others - lead people to believe all chip cards need RFID protection.  In fact, this isn't true.  You need protection only if you have a "contactless card:" it has a chip but also an embedded antenna.  If you're not sure about your card, contact the issuing bank.  A very small percentage of chip cards are contactless.

That's what I thought. I received the new cards with chips and a friend gave me a RFID case as a gift. I don't have a 'contactless card'.  Reading this thread helped me understand it better. Thanks to all for explaining it more simply.

Honored Contributor

Boy,  retailers have really sold the public a bill of goods on these RFID wallets and handbags.   We fell for it hook,  line,  and sinker.  I bet I'll never buy another Travelon bag of any type.   They knew full well there was no danger of the current CCs being "waved"  into a reader. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I was so worried and confused I finally went to our bank and talked with one of the office managers.  She said the debit card and credit card issued by our bank could not be read because of the transaction code.  It changes every time you use it and there are no "radio" waves being transmitted.  I suggest you call or visit your bank or institution that issued your credit/debit cards and ask for advice. 

Respected Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

@esmeraldagooch wrote:

I was very excited to get a new card from the bank with the RFID chips in them.  My old credit card had been a possible victim of fraud and BofA had replaced it with a new card.  Unfortunatly, BofA was still afraid of my new number being used for some reason and refused my use of the new card so I put it away.

Out comes my WF CC.  Well, I went to pay my WF card which also has one of these RFID chips in it and low an behold there was an unauthourised $530.00 charge to Comcast in Chicago that I didn't charge.   Now that card has been shut down and I have another new CC.

Point being?  These chips do nothing to stop people from hacking your accounts.

RFID chips make it easy for hackers to get your info. Get a credit card without the rfid chips.

Mine do have the chip   https://www.wellsfargo.com/chip-card/

Honored Contributor

I read a new article someone posted here yesterday,  They said to wrap the cards in tin foil for a cheap cover.  It works better than store bought covers.  Just passing it along.

Respected Contributor

My older non-chipped card was hacked multiple times last year.   My new cards were replaced with cards with embedded chips.  I ended up buying a Travelon wallet.  There are actually online YouTube videos showing the tin foil experiment.  One shows just what you have posted here - a guy with a scanner and a credit card who tests a card the following ways - in a regular wallet. one layer of tin foil and multiple levels of tin foil and then an RFID wallet.  A regular wallet and one layer of tin foil allows breach of your data - multiple layers of tin foil and the Travelon RFID wallet do not.   

So yeah, tin foil will work but is all tin foil created equal and how many layers will you need to ensure protection?  Don't get me wrong - I absolutely believe sellers are scaring the public into buying these products but since I've bought my wallet - I've also not had my card hacked.

As for these new cards, many stores here have the new machines to accept the chipped card but most don't work half the time.  Also, if you are at a restaurant and pay by credit card, I've never had a server bring the machine and tell me to swipe my card, they take your card to the back, swipe it and then bring it back and once you relinquish your card, they have your number, your expiration date and the security 3 digit number on the back and can sell that info or use it to buy things online.  If I'm going out to eat now, I try to make sure I have enough cash to pay for my meal.  Not saying all servers are crooked but I do know 2 of my 4 hacked cards were shortly after eating out at a restaurant.