Honored Contributor

Re: RFID protection for new cards?????? Question

A few months back, there was a Travelon TSV which included three RFID protection wallets for about $32 (I gave the other two away as Christmas presents). 

The main reason I decided to purchase the wallet was that, based on the presentations, it sounded as though RFID technology has been in all US passports that have been issued in the past ten years. Also, it sounded as though many states are using RFID technology for the drivers licenses that they issue. 

My take away from these presentations was that RFID information available in passports and drivers licenses included a number of key bits of information (including social security numbers) which were so very helpful in facilitating identity theft. 

Since then, I've listened to some other vendors who sell similar RFID protection wallets and, based on what I've understood, they're saying the same thing. 

I'd appreciate any additional info on this and especially, @ChynnaBlue, I'd really appreciate your feedback on this. Thanks, in advance!!! Smiley Happy

-- bebe Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@bebe777 wrote:

A few months back, there was a Travelon TSV which included three RFID protection wallets for about $32 (I gave the other two away as Christmas presents). 

The main reason I decided to purchase the wallet was that, based on the presentations, it sounded as though RFID technology has been in all US passports that have been issued in the past ten years. Also, it sounded as though many states are using RFID technology for the drivers licenses that they issue. 

My take away from these presentations was that RFID information available in passports and drivers licenses included a number of key bits of information (including social security numbers) which were so very helpful in facilitating identity theft. 

Since then, I've listened to some other vendors who sell similar RFID protection wallets and, based on what I've understood, they're saying the same thing. 

I'd appreciate any additional info on this and especially, @ChynnaBlue, I'd really appreciate your feedback on this. Thanks, in advance!!! Smiley Happy

-- bebe Smiley Happy

I don't have a passport or a PASS Card and my state does not have Enhanced (RFID) licenses (most do not), so I haven't done much research on those.

My general rule is that if you do not have anything with an RFID chip, you don't need to worry about skimmers and if you DO have something with an RFID chip, whatever it may be, act accordingly to protect your information. DHS wanted all licenses to have RFID chips back in the Bush administration, but they were warned that skimming was a risk and most states have not made the change. I don't know what's happened with the DHS directive since then or if it's still in place.

Honored Contributor

ChynnaBlue, thank you for your input on this. It's always appreciated!!! Smiley Happy

I guess I'll need to research RFID technology for my drivers licenses in my state. I am glad that I got it (for $12) for possible passport protection. 

-- bebe Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@bebe777 wrote:

ChynnaBlue, thank you for your input on this. It's always appreciated!!! Smiley Happy

I guess I'll need to research RFID technology for my drivers licenses in my state. I am glad that I got it (for $12) for possible passport protection. 

-- bebe Smiley Happy

It's really a "can't hurt, might help" thing with the RFID bags. Most people really don't NEED them, but they certainly won't hurt anything. The only things I object fear mongering tactics and the misinformation that the home shopping sales forces are using to sell them. I don't just see this on QVC, but other places as well.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bebe777 wrote:

-- bebe Smiley Happy

You got me curious, @bebe777, so I just visited the DHS website and the bottom of the Enhanced ID page has this information:

Privacy Protection

No personally identifiable information is stored on the card's RFID chip or can be transmitted electronically by the card. The card uses a unique identification number that links to information contained in a secure Department of Homeland Security database. This number does not contain any personally identifiable information.

When you get an enhanced drivers license, you will also receive:

Honored Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@bebe777 wrote:

-- bebe Smiley Happy

You got me curious, @bebe777, so I just visited the DHS website and the bottom of the Enhanced ID page has this information:

Privacy Protection

No personally identifiable information is stored on the card's RFID chip or can be transmitted electronically by the card. The card uses a unique identification number that links to information contained in a secure Department of Homeland Security database. This number does not contain any personally identifiable information.

@ChynnaBlue, thank you so much for sharing this information because I just wouldn't have known where to find a reliable source to track it down. 

This information is very interesting, especially: 

The card uses a unique identification number that links to information contained in a secure Department of Homeland Security database. This number does not contain any personally identifiable information.

Now, of course, I could have misunderstood what was being said... but I have probably listened to a dozen presentations by different vendors... and the information above contradicts some of the specific things being said. 

Al you know, I purchased nine of these for various family members and friends. The good news is that it's an inexpensive ($12) and very handy wallet which should be useful for my young nieces when they travel. So it's all good. 

That said, I've always been very good at remembering details correctly... which makes me curious about what I've been hearing. I will definitely be carefully listening to a few more presentations... just out of curiosity and because I'm not happy about the possibility of having been misled... and then sharing that incorrect information with other people. 

ChynnaBlue, thank you again for clarifying this issue. Smiley Happy

-- bebe Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@bebe777 wrote:

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@bebe777 wrote:

-- bebe Smiley Happy

Privacy Protection

@ChynnaBlue, thank you so much for sharing this information because I just wouldn't have known where to find a reliable source to track it down. 

This information is very interesting, especially: 

The card uses a unique identification number that links to information contained in a secure Department of Homeland Security database. This number does not contain any personally identifiable information.

Now, of course, I could have misunderstood what was being said... but I have probably listened to a dozen presentations by different vendors... and the information above contradicts some of the specific things being said. 

Al you know, I purchased nine of these for various family members and friends. The good news is that it's an inexpensive ($12) and very handy wallet which should be useful for my young nieces when they travel. So it's all good. 

That said, I've always been very good at remembering details correctly... which makes me curious about what I've been hearing. I will definitely be carefully listening to a few more presentations... just out of curiosity and because I'm not happy about the possibility of having been misled... and then sharing that incorrect information with other people. 

ChynnaBlue, thank you again for clarifying this issue. Smiley Happy

-- bebe Smiley Happy

Yeah, that is bothersome if they are misleading people. But hey, a wallet is always a nice gift. That's one of those things I don't replace myself until my current wallet is falling to pieces or when poor functionality finally becomes so bad I can't tolerate it anymore. It's one of those things I use nearly every single day but can't be bothered to deal with at the same time. I bought one of the Travelon bags and the included wallet because it was cute and functional, even if I'm not worried about RFID. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@bebe777   I got my passport in 2010, and it has no chip.   I got my new driver's license last June and it has no chip.   I got a couple of credit cards that have a visible chip but now we're being told these types of chips can't be scanned. 

I've decided to not worry about it. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@bebe777   I got my passport in 2010, and it has no chip.   I got my new driver's license last June and it has no chip.   I got a couple of credit cards that have a visible chip but now we're being told these types of chips can't be scanned. 

I've decided to not worry about it. 

@Kachina624, thank you so much for sharing this information... Lol, which is in sharp contrast to what I've been hearing from vendors. I'm happy with my new wallet but very happy that it only cost me $12. Thanks again!! Smiley Happy

-- bebe Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Passports & drivers licences can be scanned.  Also, any card w/the stripe can be scanned.

These non-chipped items are still a goldmine for id theives.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif