Honored Contributor

Re: REPLACING REAL DIAMOND WITH A CZ

I have a collection of older QVC wedding sets ( 20 years + or - ) that are really fabulous. I saw one on eBay recently at a bid that was 3 times what I paid. The purchases were before the price of gold took its big jump.

They are all beautiful and really look like diamonds. All of mine are in reasonably hefty 14k white or yellow gold.

If I were attempting to get the bang for the lowest buck, I'd look for one of those old sets. I've never had one of them go cloudy, and the styles are traditional and lovely.

Respected Contributor

IMO, what is the point of having a beautiful diamond if it's kept locked away where no one (including you) can enjoy it?  $45 per month seems like a lot for one ring, unless it's a HUGE diamond.  I'd insure it for less money, then I think I'd go ahead and wear it.  Then if I lost it I'd buy a CZ replacement, rather than the other way around.  If the stone is that large, then a replacement CZ will look like a CZ, not a diamond IMO.  The larger the CZ, the more obvious it is.

Laura loves cats!
Respected Contributor

I bought a Diamonique ring that looks just like my real engagement ring. I use it when we travel and I don't have a secure place to put my real rings when I'm not wearing them. Have you checked to see if your homeowner's or renter's insurance policy covers any jewelry? If so, I'd drop your current policy and make it a point to have the prongs on your engagement ring checked periodically to make sure they're secure.

Esteemed Contributor

I still have the real diamond that I replaced w/ a larger Diamonique stone. I have wanted to design a brooch, but not gotten to it yet.

I couldn't go too much larger or it would have altered the original setting -- the center stone on a branch sprayed w/ sapphires.

Diamonique (haven't gotten any lately, but at the time) was exceptional quality, and the ring looks beautiful, which is now in possession of my DD (DH, her father, who choose that ring, who is dec'd.)

A loose diamond doesn't fetch that much. Unless you wanted to do something specific (like what I wanted to do), I would just let a jeweler check the setting.

For my 2nd marriage, I actually did lose a diamond...a couple of times, each time I found it -- the last time (before I finally sent it back to the manufacturer to be re-set), the diamond had fallen out at a restaurant. We actually had to go back and there it was on the floor underneath the table where we sat!

Honored Contributor

My problem would only be that unless the stone is very tiny, the CZ will just look like clear glass - not the least bit like a diamond.

I've not considered replacing any of my diamonds but the only thing I would consider would be a good quality Moissanite.

I do have a couple of Moissanite stones that I set into stud earring findings and I can put them right next to a diamond and you can't tell the difference.  Put a CZ of that size next to a diamond and it's just, well, bad looking compared to a diamond.

JMHO, FWIW.  YMMV  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't think you'll fool anyone with a CZ but you might with a Moissanite as they're so much more realistic.  You can buy unset stones from the manufacturer, Charles & Colvard. They are beautifully sparkly. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Spinach3 wrote:

I've been insuring my engagement ring as I'm afraid I'll lose my center stone.  I've been thinking of taking the diamond out and replacing it with a CZ and keeping the real diamond in a safe.  Have any of you replaced your stone with a CZ?  I'd be saving $45.00 a month!

Hi @Spinach30 !!

There's a couple things that come to mind  ......  

First, please shop around for a different policy ... and also check if you can just get a rider on your current homeowners or renters policy to cover your diamond ring.  Unless you have a 10 carat center stone, paying $540 a year for one ring is really a bit much, IMO.

Secondly, Please go to a reputable jeweler and have them check your setting.   If you fear the stone will fall out, make sure it's secure.  

Thirdly .... why not shop around for an identical  Diamonique ring that you can wear when wearing a diamond is probably not a good idea.

JMO

Respected Contributor

@Spinach3 wrote:

I've been insuring my engagement ring as I'm afraid I'll lose my center stone.  I've been thinking of taking the diamond out and replacing it with a CZ and keeping the real diamond in a safe.  Have any of you replaced your stone with a CZ?  I'd be saving $45.00 a month!

Just to let you know that CZs are a lot harder to keep clean.  We bought my engagement ring with a good quality cz because we couldn't afford a real diamond.  It was beautiful, but I knew it wasn't real and when we could afford it I had it switched to a real diamond.  I pay the extra amount on my homeowner's policy to insure it. It makes me happy to look at it and wear it every day.  

Valued Contributor

Removing a real diamond, or locking it away, brings to mind the time people used to have clear plastic slipcovers made for living room furniture.  It begs the question, "What are you saving it for?"

Yes, maybe you could lose it, or maybe it could be stolen, but it was given as a promise of love and commitment by a person you hopefully care deeply about.  I think jewelry should be worn and enjoyed for as long as possible and as an honor to the giver.

If you lost a loved one, you treasure the time you had with them, not regret that you ever knew them since they are now gone.

DH has been very generous with jewelry gifts over our 49 years.  I love to wear these tangible signs of his love, and I don't obsess about their loss.  I take normal precautions and have a few CZ's for travel.  Find a good hiding place at home if you go away for a trip, but get that pretty stuff out in the fresh air!  Think how many people will be happy when they see it making you happy!

Honored Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

I think it would be sad to shove such a precious gift into a lock box - you should wear it and enjoy it and not worry about what might happen.  It was given to you in love - enjoy it!

I agree completely with hoosieroriginal.  I would never put an engagement ring in a lock box and would definitely not replace the diamond with a CZ.  What enjoyment will you get from it being in the lock box?

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau