Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Questions for those in apartments

@Laura14  The water bill is becoming a growing way for everyone to pay for water.

Usually the complex will allow X amount of gallons for each unit and anything used over that will be assessed in a monthly bill. 

With water becoming an increasingly precious commodity, it is a way to have people aware of what they are using.  People who don't have to pay often do not try to conserve.

I am not in an apartment but I know that the complexes in my area handle the water assessment this way.  Not all apartment complexes charge for water but rest assured water is factored into the rent being charged.

I'd be skeptical of only one meter being used for the whole complex.  Single meters can be monitored by you to make sure you are not being overcharged.  I've never heard of one meter for an entire complex.

I would check around; this may not be the norm in your area for all apartments.

One word of advice about paying rent-if you have a manager's office pay your rent by check AND get a receipt. 

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

I've lived in several apartments, and I rent one now, but I've never had any utilities shared/divided with anyone else.  I've actually never even heard of that, and I think I would definitely steer away from that type of situation.

In most cases, heat and water were included, and I only paid my own electric bill.  But in others, I paid all utilities (heat, gas, water, sewer, electric).  I set up my own accounts directly with the providers.  The apartment managing people had nothing to do with it.  I've always paid my own cable, internet, etc.

Sometimes there were designated parking spaces, other times just general parking.  Sometimes a fee for the space, sometimes not.  In NYC one apartment I lived in had a garage underneath the building, and there was a monthly fee.  Another one in the suburbs had private garages, also for a monthly fee.  My current complex has a large parking lot with parking at no extra charge.

One apartment complex only accepted checks as rent.  But others had the option to pay online with a credit card or e-check.  One charged an additional fee if a credit card was used.

In my experience, all of this has always varied a lot, even in the same area.

Esteemed Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

I've lived in several apartments, and I rent one now, but I've never had any utilities shared/divided with anyone else.  I've actually never even heard of that, and I think I would definitely steer away from that type of situation.

In most cases, heat and water were included, and I only paid my own electric bill.  But in others, I paid all utilities (heat, gas, water, sewer, electric).  I set up my own accounts directly with the providers.  The apartment managing people had nothing to do with it.  I've always paid my own cable, internet, etc.

Sometimes there were designated parking spaces, other times just general parking.  Sometimes a fee for the space, sometimes not.  In NYC one apartment I lived in had a garage underneath the building, and there was a monthly fee.  Another one in the suburbs had private garages, also for a monthly fee.  My current complex has a large parking lot with parking at no extra charge.

One apartment complex only accepted checks as rent.  But others had the option to pay online with a credit card or e-check.  One charged an additional fee if a credit card was used.

If the water was already in the price of your rent you sharing the bill. It’s no different if they itemize it to show you what your paying.

Esteemed Contributor

@ccassaday wrote:

@NYC Susan wrote:

If the water was already in the price of your rent you sharing the bill. It’s no different if they itemize it to show you what your paying.

That's different than the situation you described.  When I did not pay for water, my rent was the same every month.  Differences in water usage were not factored into it.  So yes, the cost of water was factored in when the amount of my rent was determined, but that amount did not fluctuate depending on how much water my neighbors (or myself) used.  If someone suddenly started using a whole lot of water, it didn't impact any of us.  The owners of the complex got the same amount of rent from each of us that they always had, and they absorbed the cost.  That's very different than a water bill being divided among number of apartments depending on usage.

Esteemed Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

@ccassaday wrote:

@NYC Susan wrote:

That's different than the situation you described.  When I did not pay for water, my rent was the same every month.  Differences in water usage were not factored into it.  So yes, the cost of water was factored in when the amount of my rent was determined, but that amount did not fluctuate depending on how much water my neighbors (or myself) used.  If someone suddenly started using a whole lot of water, it didn't impact any of us.  The owners of the complex got the same amount of rent from each of us that they always had, and they absorbed the cost.  That's very different than a water bill being divided among number of apartments depending on usage.

Even though ours was ddone this way it was actually pretty consistent every month. At least you know what your being charged. If it’s in with your rent the complex might of been making a profit off the water. Anyway I don’t see it as a bad thing having it itemized so you knew what you were actually being charged. With the apartments only being one or two bedrooms it was kind of hard for any tenant to use a lot of water. There was no way to hook a hose up outside or anything. My guess is every tenant probably used about the same.

Esteemed Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Laura14  The water bill is becoming a growing way for everyone to pay for water.

Usually the complex will allow X amount of gallons for each unit and anything used over that will be assessed in a monthly bill. 

With water becoming an increasingly precious commodity, it is a way to have people aware of what they are using.  People who don't have to pay often do not try to conserve.

I am not in an apartment but I know that the complexes in my area handle the water assessment this way.  Not all apartment complexes charge for water but rest assured water is factored into the rent being charged.

I'd be skeptical of only one meter being used for the whole complex.  Single meters can be monitored by you to make sure you are not being overcharged.  I've never heard of one meter for an entire complex.

I would check around; this may not be the norm in your area for all apartments.

One word of advice about paying rent-if you have a manager's office pay your rent by check AND get a receipt. 

You're correct when you say that this is not the norm for all apartments.  I've never had a limit as to the amount of water I used, and I've lived in several different apartments in several different states.  

Like you, I would also be skeptical of having one meter used for a whole complex - or even a section of a complex.  And, as I said, upthread, I also have never heard of that.  There have been individual meters everywhere I've ever lived.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ccassaday wrote:

@NYC Susan wrote:

@ccassaday wrote:

@NYC Susan wrote:

Even though ours was ddone this way it was actually pretty consistent every month. At least you know what your being charged. If it’s in with your rent the complex might of been making a profit off the water. Anyway I don’t see it as a bad thing having it itemized so you knew what you were actually being charged. With the apartments only being one or two bedrooms it was kind of hard for any tenant to use a lot of water. There was no way to hook a hose up outside or anything. My guess is every tenant probably used about the same.

Well, I wouldn't be comfortable with that.  I far prefer the way it's always been done in the apartments I've lived in.  I have no interest in sharing bills that vary each month with other tenants.  Water usage can vary quite a lot from tenant to tenant whether or not they use it outdoors - It's certainly possible to use quite a lot of water indoors.  My preference actually has always been to pay all of my own utilities.  That way I can keep track of my own usage and only pay for that. 

Fortunately, I've never run into this "dividing the bills" concept, so its never been a concern.

eta:  Somehow my point got lost in all of this.  I originally posted to let the OP know that details re various charges are not necessarily old or new or common or rare.  There are a lot of variables.  The details can be hugely different, and a lot of what's involved in apartment living has not necessarily changed from years ago.  It's best not to assume that anything is the new norm. Two apartment complexes on the same block could have completely different policies.  (I've seen pet fees that range from zero to $150/month, for example.  And parking policies vary wildly.  And on and on.)

Respected Contributor

@Laura14  Wow, after reading several pages of posts (but not all), it sounds like the apartments are pretty reasonable.  My son was looking for his first apartment, and he was lucky to get a small studio for $825/month.  The nicer 2 bedroom apartments with pool and fairly new construction were $2500/month and they were hard to find.

I haven't lived in an apartment for many years, but here are a couple of things I would consider if I was looking to rent. 

Call the local pizza or delivery places and see if they deliver to the apartment after dark.  That will tell you a little about the crime.  You can always ask the police department about crime rates and areas to stay away from.   

Apartments that were on the 2nd floor or higher always felt safer to me since no one could just slide open the window and break in.

Try to avoid getting a roommate if you can, it much easier to live by yourself and not have to deal with others taking your food, not paying the bills, or bring people over all times of the day and night.

Good luck in your search, this is an exciting time.

......You look like I need a drink.....
Valued Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

I am looking to rent my first apartment in about 20 years and things have changed. 

Rather than trusting a leasing agent to tell me the whole story, can any of you give me an idea about some of these new utilities and features?  

Back in the day, I had my own electric, phone and cable and that was it.  Everything else was included in the rent.  Nowadays, it seems like valet trash (whatever that is) is included and I pay for every utility on top of the rent.

The biggest surprise is the water bill is apparently not just my water bill but everyone else's including the landscaping.  There is now some sort of formula that the apartments are using to bill everyone off of one meter. 

As a single person, that scares me as I do not want to be subsidizing or paying for the couples or families next door or the complex's spinkler system if they choose to run it non-stop during the summertime. 

Can anyone give me an idea of what kinds of things you pay for besides your rent?  And if you have this water formula thing, is it in line with what you expect every month?  I just want to be prepared since I don't know what I don't know anymore.

Oh and how do you guys pay your rent?  I'm seeing a lot of renters mention they are tied into an auto bank draft or they face fees to pay any other way.  Just looking to see what the nickels and dimes are these days for everything that's expected of a renter's wallet. 

Thanks!  

I owned a duplex for 30 year's (just sold it 6 month's ago). The duplex was on well water and a raised leach bed that required a pump. Both side's had their own electric meter but the water pump and the leach bed pump (use, of course for both side's) was only on one tenant's electric bill. I would give that tenant a discount on the rent due to that fact. It is actually a law here in Maine the require's that. You should NOT have to pay for water you do not use. I would ask for the last year of water bill's and ask for discount in your rent, based on the water bill, minus a reasonable amount that you might use. The rent included heat, snow plowing, and landscaping. They paid for their light's. I never heard of "fee's to pay another way", that is insane. My tenant's just sent me a check each month. 

I know alot of landlord's are charging an application fee now. So many people would call to look at our duplex and ask if we charge and application fee. We never charged and application fee. That's just another way landlord's try to get money from people. If the landlord's charge's a $25.00 application fee for each potential tenant, that's alot of money for them 

Honored Contributor

A single water meter is the norm in my area, with water included in the price of rent. In fact, I manage a small apartment complex. We looked into potentially changing to separate meters and the cost was astronomical.
We also charge for applying. It is NOT a way to make money. Running a credit check costs money. The fee we charge doesn’t even cover the cost of my time.