Honored Contributor

Re: Questions for those in apartments

@CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

Be aware if there are kids above you, it may be noisy. My daughter and her son rent a duplex, side by side where they share a common wall, and where the common wall is they can hear the neighbors kids running up and down the stairs, it isn't super loud, but you can hear it. She said it was still better than having kids above you running and jumping....

So just be cautious as to who will live above you if you can.....Especially if you are used to peace and quiet.....

Anyway she pays 125.00 more for her duplex, but she is gaining more space plus her own small yard and a garage. She pays all her own utilities.... 

I would like to be up myself anyway for safety and just plain enjoyment and frankly less rent.  To be honest, that kind of noise really doesn't bother me.  It's the barking and loud tv/music that would drive me insane.  

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

Be aware if there are kids above you, it may be noisy. My daughter and her son rent a duplex, side by side where they share a common wall, and where the common wall is they can hear the neighbors kids running up and down the stairs, it isn't super loud, but you can hear it. She said it was still better than having kids above you running and jumping....

So just be cautious as to who will live above you if you can.....Especially if you are used to peace and quiet.....

Anyway she pays 125.00 more for her duplex, but she is gaining more space plus her own small yard and a garage. She pays all her own utilities.... 

I would like to be up myself anyway for safety and just plain enjoyment and frankly less rent.  To be honest, that kind of noise really doesn't bother me.  It's the barking and loud tv/music that would drive me insane.  

@Laura14 True. Plus the one thing with renting a duplex, she and her neighbor are responsible for the yard work in the summer. They do not have to worry about snow removal though. So that could be a deterent if you don't want any yard work to worry about...Good Luck to you! 

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@GingerPeach wrote:

@Laura14

Are you looking for an apartment as a permanent place or a temporary fill-in before purchasing another home?

If the latter, you might also consider an "executive suite" temporary situation, or a long-term AirBNB.

If permanent, disregard my suggestion since you've had a lot of good ideas provided here already.

@GingerPeach  Completely temporary as I just can't stay where I am anymore.  Too much family drama. 

I have looked into moving far away as I do not want to live in the state I am and just start over in all aspects but someone gave me some really good advice.  They told me to give myself a year before making any major life decisions so I am willing to commit to a one year lease.  

@Laura14

I think what you're doing sounds smart.  I wholeheartedly approve of taking a year.  It's true; major decisions shouldn't be rushed.  All the best to you!  Heart

A year will give you plenty of time to gauge what feels right about any area you might  want to move to.  Weather, political base, city, suburb, church affiliations or related groups, inland or coast, age group, so many factors that may or may not be important for you.  I think also sometimes you just feel it when it's right.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach  and @CANDLEQUEEN  Thank you both!  

I'd love to have a townhome and there are some around but they are pricier than a one bedroom so I'm not sure I want to go that route even for some better privacy.  I've only had one major issue in all the apartments I ever rented so hopefully my luck will hold out with my return.

And I also thought that was a brilliant idea to just catch my breath for a bit.  It calmed me down after being so overwhelmed with decisions.  Just having my own home will go a long way to taking a great deal of stress out of my life so I can hear myself think again.  

Honored Contributor

@Laura14

Get yourself a gorgeous calendar and once you move into your apartment, hang it up where you see it every day.  Then just cross off the days one by one and I have a feeling the time will pass quickly - whether you have noisy neighbors or not.  At least you'll have an end date in sight and a tangible item right in front of you to keep you reminded of the future.

Again, all the best to you!  I hope you'll keep us posted as to what you find.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

I didn't read all the responses but at our apartment complex we just pay the rent, we have antenna free, internet is only $35.00 a month, We also have a pool, sauna and hot tub and exercise room.  Everything is encluded in our rent except the internet. We live on the second floor.

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

@Laura14

Get yourself a gorgeous calendar and once you move into your apartment, hang it up where you see it every day.  Then just cross off the days one by one and I have a feeling the time will pass quickly - whether you have noisy neighbors or not.  At least you'll have an end date in sight and a tangible item right in front of you to keep you reminded of the future.

Again, all the best to you!  I hope you'll keep us posted as to what you find.

What a fantastic idea @GingerPeach!  I already have my calendar and I'll start doing just that as soon as I find a place.  I am actually running away this weekend to go find myself back home in NYC for a few days.  Then next week is going to be decision time on a lot of stuff that's been hanging on me lately.  

Honored Contributor

I would say "all of the above".  It depends on where you are renting and there is no general answer.  In some apartments, you pay rent are responsible for your own utilities.  In some apartments, the heat and electricity is included in your rent.  Sometimes, there is no additional charge for the water but in some buildings where there only a few apartments and one meter; the tenants share the water bill.  You can't nickel and dime under that plan, you accept it you don't rent that apartment.  People pay their rent by check or money order.  Many landlords don't accept personal checks because they've been burned in the past.  I know that some of the large apartment complexes let tenants pay online but honestly; I would never let my landlord have access to my credit or debit card.  You know what works for you and what doesn't work for you so you get all this information before you see the apartment and you only look at apartments that meet your requirements.  

Honored Contributor

wow, apartment renting sure has changed in the past 20 years. dh and i rented many apartments in the 1st 20  years of married life (his job kept us moving every couple years or so). All these fees that are now responsibility of the tennent, I too would be very leery about if I am getting into something good or a nightmare (Judge Judy type case)

Esteemed Contributor

I don’t think it is actually fees. They just give you a lower rent then itemize the stuff so you know where the money is going. Instead of charging you rent of say of $1100. They might charge you $900 then add on those things. It’s good because you can see where your money is going. My old apartment charged me so much. I never knew what part was for water ect.