Respected Contributor

Re: Questions about Kindle Fire?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Ainhisg wrote:

I have the latest model of the Amazon Fire 7 tablet that retails for $49.99 on Amazon.  Amazon has its own app store called Amazon Underground. Their store does not have all the apps that Apple or Google Play has...for example Kohl's and a local news channel that I enjoy, but I can use the browser (Silk) to go the websites. The apps also don't update frequently, and there is no way to update them unless Amazon is offering the update.

If you have a Netflix subscription, you can download the Netflix app and watch shows and movies on it.  You can use your email provider with their email app as well as get the common apps like FB, YouTube, etc.

I like this tablet for a reader (the size is great for that purpose), and that is about it. There is no easy way to turn wi-fi off and on unless you use the airplane mode. I actually downloaded an app that I can use to quickly turn wi-fi on and off. I find the tablet to be PAINFULLY slow. I also find the color to be muted, and there is no way to change the color contrast or bump it up. Another thing that I don't like is that it doesn't have voice recognition. So if you're used to speaking a search term or dictating a Facebook private message or email or anything for that matter, you are out of luck. I knew that when I bought it but did not realize how much I use voice recognition.

I finally sideloaded Google Play to get a bit more functionality out of it, but I have had to customize this tablet so much, that I most likely will not buy another Fire tablet.

I would think that the more expensive Fire tablets would have a better display and faster speed, but unless you sideload Google Play, you're still dealing with limited apps.

I have the LePan Android tablet from QVC, and it has been a good one. It is much faster than the Fire, works well, and the color is very nice on it. If it ever comes out with a new OS, I will probably buy another. The current OS is 4.2 Jellybean, and some apps won't work with that OS. Also, for safety reasons, I prefer a newer OS.

I also have an iPad mini 4. It is the BMW of all my tablets. I love, love, love it!  The color display is amazing, the speed incredible, and the touch screen so responsive. I'm sure there's an Android tablet out there somewhere that is comparable in quality, but I'm telling you that unless you've had an Apple tablet, you don't know what you are missing...in my opinion.  I have the newest version, and it was only $299 at Best Buy.  This special price does repeat from time-to-time, so keep your eye on the website if interested.  It has 16gb of internal storage, which is plenty for me, but you can purchase the mini with more gb of storage.

I have a lot of tablets, because I keep them iin different rooms of the house and use them for different things.  

If you don't understand  half of what she said.....get the Kindle afire...lol.   You'll have everything you need and want.  And you won't need any help...lol

Respected Contributor

@Chrystaltree2, if you didn't understand half of what I said, I would be more than happy to explain further, because a lot of it applies to an Amazon tablet, which you have, and I would be glad to help you get more functional use out of yours. Just let me know if I can help!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Ainhisg wrote:

@Chrystaltree2, if you didn't understand half of what I said, I would be more than happy to explain further, because a lot of it applies to an Amazon tablet, which you have, and I would be glad to help you get more functional use out of yours. Just let me know if I can help!

The point I was trying to make is some people only want to put minimal effort into a tablet.  We aren't into all the ins and outs of tablets.  It's a tool  and we just need to know how to get what we want and need.  If op is just venturing into the world of tablets, much of what you said went right over head and is not necessary so early in the game.  Its elementary to you because you have an appreciation for such things.  People like me and op don't.  We only want our movies and FB and our  tv  shows and some other stuff to entertain us.  Lots of tablet owners don't need or want to go beyond that.  

Honored Contributor

Why would anyone want to watch televison programs on a ipad?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

@Chrystaltree2 wrote:

@Ainhisg wrote:

The point I was trying to make is some people only want to put minimal effort into a tablet.  We aren't into all the ins and outs of tablets.  It's a tool  and we just need to know how to get what we want and need.  If op is just venturing into the world of tablets, much of what you said went right over head and is not necessary so early in the game.  Its elementary to you because you have an appreciation for such things.  People like me and op don't.  We only want our movies and FB and our  tv  shows and some other stuff to entertain us.  Lots of tablet owners don't need or want to go beyond that.  

The OP did not comment about which Fire tablet she is considering.  If she is considering the Fire 7, I wanted to let her know my experience with it so she could make an informed choice.  I would never assume that she is a novice or assume that she is an expert, but anyone can benefit from more knowledge.  Like I said in my original post, I'm sure the more expensive Fire tablets are very nice, but if I were only going to have one tablet, it would not be the Fire 7 for the reasons I mentioned.  

I don't think the OP is just venturing into a tablet as she made a comment about the Google Play store which implies that she has had experience with either an Android tablet or Android phone.  You can get where you want to go on any device, but some devices work better, are more intuitive, and provide a much better, smoother experience.  Why wouldn't anyone want that?

Many people read these threads, so if my experiences can help anyone...the OP or others, I am really happy about that.  And if I can help you in any way with your Fire, please let me know!

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you for the replies and information! 

To clear something up I meant the Kindle Fire that is 49.99 OR the one that is 69.99 but I was leaning toward the lesser amount because I already have a (prepaid) smart phone, Le Pan tablet (which has been having some hesitating issues lately), and I have the original iPad (which doesnt have what the current iPads have), plus I have a 17 inch laptop. (And I have the old Kindle as I said, as in the first Kindle made).

So, I am thinking of the Fire just to be more portable. Example; I cant lay in bed right with my big laptop and I have insomnia so I was going to use the Fire at night when I cant sleep because it would be bigger than my cellphone but not too big (if that makes sense?).

Lastly- I actually was thinking of getting another LePan, but I think I want the Fire instead.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Esteemed Contributor

Mima - I totally understand why you might be confused by my post. (Sorry!) Here's a little more color. I use an iPAD for many reasons. More people around me use one and I can always get help. It's actually a bigger size that the particular Fire that I own. It has more of my work-related apps already on it. There's a "coolness" factor, too, at work--as most of my superiors think that Apple products are always superior. (I know that's silly...but, hey, impressions matter.) That said, I think the design for usability is actually better on the Fire. I've always thought that the folks who designed the Fire have a better grasp on how non-techie types would naturally pick up a tablet and start using it. Ironically, Apple has always - in my opinion--been a bit snug about bragging about their superior usability features. I don't agree with them. I hope this clarifies. At the end of the day, I think you'd be happy with either one. Woman Happy