Esteemed Contributor

Re: Questions Regarding Banking Privacy

@sunshine45 wrote:

there is probably nothing to stop the "personal banker" from discussing the situation with the trainee AFTER the client/customer leaves. again, how is the trainee supposed to learn if he/she doesnt get the experience?  it has to come from someone and somewhere. if you trust your bank, you should be able to trust every single person who works there, otherwise, you should probably move your money/investments.

@sunshine45

And ALL banks have trainees.

So, good luck finding a bank that doesn't train its personel with some form of observation training.

QVC Customer Care

Respected Contributor

@AngusandBuddhasMom wrote:

@Yardlie wrote:

I spoke with my DD who herself is a Senior financial adviser on her IT security & fraud team and she said the employee Joe should be in the room as a bank employee. If you felt that Joe had some sort of nefarious reason of being there then you should have told the personal banker and manager.  They would have both explained why Joe was there and that he is not out to harm your Mom's money.

There are no federal rules that is ridiculous.  If this person is in training he has already gone through extensive training about the legal reasons of privacy etc. Honestly customers treat bank employees like they are the plague but are wishy washy when they find out deregulated policys  are in the midst of being changed. And they have a say but do nothing. I doubt "Joe" is about to use any info against your Mother.

Then when we customers start pulling money out of a bank because we cannot have privacy with our "personal" bankers, the banks will have nothing to squawk about...and then watch how quickly other banks start putting privacy rules in place...even though there may not be Federal privacy rules for this situation.

I've already discussed this situation with my mother's personal banker yesterday. She apologized and said that it was her fault that she did not send Joe out of the room once my mother and I both raised objections. I explained that we could not discuss the "core" issue with Joe sitting there. We were going to make some changes in her accounts due to personal things going on with my mother. These things are nobody else's business. This is a small town, and we do not want talk while maybe Joe is sitting in a bar after work discussing the day with his buddies.

We set up another appointment with this banker after she guaranteed us absolute privacy, but I let her know that my mother was about one inch away from pulling her money out of this bank. My mother grew up during the Great Depression and is not real trustworthy of banks anyway.

Do what you want all banks are the same. A lot of your verbiage is written to enforce your narrative and we have to take your word a to what the banker said. You are so insulting to think that "Joe" is going to go run and tell your Mothers intimate stories. I would not want to be your banker since you came in with a chip on your shoulder towards the bank and a unfounded distrust of its employees. You seem to look down on them as if they are all untrustworthy gossipers or thieves. Again banking regulations happen because the consumer allows it through their votes. So maybe your mom should keep her stash under her mattress. FYI, Bank employees would get fired on the spot for talking about customers business. Seriously this isn't a TV show. 

And...as I have discovered from other threads, Caravaggo...you are a very rude person who doesn't know how to express herself without insulting your fellow board members.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Yardlie wrote:

And...as I have discovered from other threads, Caravaggo...you are a very rude person who doesn't know how to express herself without insulting your fellow board members.

And that is your bias pov becauseI did not agree with how you belittled an employee doing his job. You have no argument to defend your insults so this is your comeback.

I had something else written but deleted it because its not worth my time to get into it with you. 

Valued Contributor

I think you might find a great deal of information in the FDIC rules-you may not find exactly a reference for your situation but, a comfort level in knowing what employees are actually entitled to view and how-

This seems to me, to be more of an "old school" personal issue for Mom, in that, she is used to personal bankers of long ago and how things were dealt with privately.  Most likely in smaller banks-

Perhaps more about having trust in people, than banking rules and the fact that, many older people just aren't comfortable discussing personal matters with others.  I know my mom was that way.

I would have asked my banker for complete privacy while meeting.  Even during that meeting.  However, with the understanding that the information shared, whether it was voiced to you or not, would/will most likely be shared as a learning experience with the employee shadowing him/her after your meeting.

Hope the next meeting yields more comfortable and better results.

Respected Contributor

@Yardlie wrote:

And that is your bias pov becauseI did not agree with how you belittled an employee doing his job. You have no argument to defend your insults so this is your comeback.

I had something else written but deleted it because its not worth my time to get into it with you. 

Then feel free to leave this thread. Everyone else in this thread is pleasant. You are crude and a troublemaker as usual...but I'm sure you already know that about yourself.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Respected Contributor

@silentgirl ... I agree...older people are very distrusting of banks to begin with, and they do not like revealing much about themselves to anyone...let alone, an onlooker.

The banker was very pleasant about setting up a totally private meeting with just herself and us. I'm sure everything will get ironed out at this next meeting.

Thanks for your input.

Respected Contributor

Given how long ypur 'private banker' has been there, chances are that she is very close to retirement. you just night find that the trainee is her new banker. Just so you know, many banks designate personal bankers to their depositers who have a designated amount in the bank simply to make the customer feel important. Unless she has many multiple millions of dollars invested and deposited with the bank, any banker can help her with her business. Unless you are a major customer the threat of the loss of your business means little or nothing in the larger picture.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Respected Contributor

@Yardlie wrote:

@Yardlie wrote:

Then feel free to leave this thread. Everyone else in this thread is pleasant. You are crude and a troublemaker as usual...but I'm sure you already know that about yourself.

There are a lot of genuinely nice people on this board who I have a good rapport with. We may not always agree but I respect their pov. That being said..

I came into this thread since my dd is in the banking industry. And since she handles a lot of older clients who need to be walked through on important banking issues.  While I have no clue what they may be nor would I ask. I found your post to be insulting because I know how responsible and respectful she is to all her clients.  Or she would not have been moved into the position she is in at the age of 25. (Your post implied that bankers especially young ones are disrespectful and give out private info while on their own time drinking) So considering all the sweet presents she gets from her clients during the holidays. I am thinking she is doing pretty darn good for herself.  And considering I raised her I do not agree with your assessment of me. Sorry not sorry I wont be a sheep just so I don't get a nasty barb from you.

So I really do not care that you found my post to be in your opinion crude and that  in you think I am a troublemaker. Because I didn't agree with you. You seem to think  attacking me personally will make up for a lack of argument. Because I pointed out there are no Federal laws against someone being trained.  You are many things in my pov but I will not go into it. But I am sure you are a joy to have to deal with in public.

If I want to post here I will. Last time I checked the thread was open to everyone. 

Respected Contributor

@reiki604 wrote:

Given how long ypur 'private banker' has been there, chances are that she is very close to retirement. you just night find that the trainee is her new banker. Just so you know, many banks designate personal bankers to their depositers who have a designated amount in the bank simply to make the customer feel important. Unless she has many multiple millions of dollars invested and deposited with the bank, any banker can help her with her business. Unless you are a major customer the threat of the loss of your business means little or nothing in the larger picture.

@reiki604 ... The banker is not her "private" banker. They call the role a personal banker and everyone is assigned one. It is not a matter of how much money you have in the bank. Yes, our personal banker is going to be retiring in the next five years. However, she is the senior banker and asst. bank manager. There is another very experienced banker who will take over her role.