Super Contributor

Re: Questions Regarding Banking Privacy

Your mom had every right to want privacy...no strangers being trained on her dime...whoever was doing the training should have honored her wishes...the trainer could have explained to the new kid on the block what went down during the visit...and I am sure there are plenty of others who would not mind the new kid on the block sitting in on the meeting. She is paying them....she calls the shots..as it turned out this unexpected presence prevented you from addressing the root of the issue...which means what? Another visit to the bank?

Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

""Oh, Joe won't tell anyone what you say. He's shadowing me, because we're just breaking him in.""

That is unacceptable!!!!  You and/or your mother should have gone to the bank manager to complain.

This recently happened to my 92 yr old mother.  In her case, there was an extra body in the room - in training.

My mother left the office & complained to the bank manager who ended up taking care of her.  I was not w/her at that time.

That is one of the reasons why I want to know if the Federal laws gives clients privacy during financial transactions. I want to know if they have violated some law by not respecting our right to privacy. We asked twice.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Respected Contributor

I have permitted shadowing in doctor's offices, but I would not permit it in a personal financial situation. You have every right to insist a private meeting with your personal banker.

Respected Contributor

@gracie2014 wrote:

Your mom had every right to want privacy...no strangers being trained on her dime...whoever was doing the training should have honored her wishes...the trainer could have explained to the new kid on the block what went down during the visit...and I am sure there are plenty of others who would not mind the new kid on the block sitting in on the meeting. She is paying them....she calls the shots..as it turned out this unexpected presence prevented you from addressing the root of the issue...which means what? Another visit to the bank?

@gracie2014 ... Exactly! Re: your other post, it is very nice of you to let the medical students examine you given your rare condition. I'm sure everyone appreciates it.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Super Contributor

@Yardlie Thank you...if I am not in the mood...or should I say in a mood because the pain is so great..I ask them to come back another time...it always works out....but with banking good grief..the trainee could have stepped out of the room...

Honored Contributor

@Yardlie

The law in part....

"It's important that you read the mail you receive from your bank and other financial institutions. The law requires these companies to explain how they use and share your personal information. The law also allow you to stop or "opt out" of certain information sharing. "You need to be observant," says Ken Baebel, Assistant Director of the FDIC's Division of Compliance and Consumer Affairs. "You need to look for the privacy notices from your financial institutions, which may come as part of a monthly statement or as a separate mailing. You also need to understand whether an institution intends to share personal information with other companies and, if so, what you can do to prevent information sharing, if that's what you want. Otherwise, it will be up to the institution to decide who gets details about you and your finances."

CLICKY CLICK-->Your Rights to Financial Privacy

Or Goggle it.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I did a preliminary search of federal laws in regard to your situation and I don't believe there are any for the simple reason that none would be required in this instance. I think all that would be required is your request.

ETA: What @Mz iMac quoted, I believe, is only in regard to sharing your financial information with third parties. meaning other businesses. I don't think it has anything to do with privacy during a meeting with your personal banker. 

Honored Contributor

It would only be courteous for the person conducting the interview to ask if the customer minded another person being there.  If she said yes, she minded, he should have excused himself.  I'd call the branch manager and complain. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

When an intern is in the room, the Dr. always ask me if it's ok. I generally, agree. They have to learn somehow.

Honored Contributor

So - the next time you go to the bank and the person behind the desk is this kid you didn't want in the room - then what are you going to do? You will be doing your business with him!