Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Questions Regarding Banking Privacy

[ Edited ]

I know HIPAA gives us privacy as far as health care goes. I know that there is a Federal Financial Privacy Act also, but I'm wondering if anyone knows how far that extends.

I know at the doctor's office, if you don't want a "shadow" in the room, you can just say that you prefer to be alone with the doctor.

The other day, we took my 92 y.o. mother to the bank. We needed to talk to her personal banker about some changes she was thinking about making to her finances. When we go in to the personal banker's office, normally we are alone with the banker. This time, there was someone new who was also in the room. My mother felt very uncomfortable with this situation and said that she would like privacy...so the banker just closed the door. I told the banker that we would like to discuss something alone with her, and the banker said, "Oh, Joe won't tell anyone what you say. He's shadowing me, because we're just breaking him in." We never did get to the root of the issue my mother wanted to discuss, because of the other person observing.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows for certain if there are Federal privacy laws that would apply in this case, such as there are in medical offices.

Thanks much!

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Honored Contributor

Re: Questions Regarding Banking Privacy

I don't know if there are federal rules but if your mom was not comfortable, she should have asked that this other person leave.  If he would not, then she should have cut the appointment short.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I expect to see all privacy laws including HIPAA go out the window.  That way special interests can send you solicitations about your specific medical conditions.  Looser banking regs are already in the works.   Brace yourselves. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Actuallly, I think you mean HIPAA.

And I would have put my foot down and insisted that the other person leave. And kept insisting until it was done.

Everyone has a right to financial privacy. I would go see this banker and address the issue of privacy in person. And be firm about it, regardless of the banker's "reason."

Honored Contributor

""Oh, Joe won't tell anyone what you say. He's shadowing me, because we're just breaking him in.""

That is unacceptable!!!!  You and/or your mother should have gone to the bank manager to complain.

This recently happened to my 92 yr old mother.  In her case, there was an extra body in the room - in training.

My mother left the office & complained to the bank manager who ended up taking care of her.  I was not w/her at that time.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

If you go to the doctor and he has a med student or an intern with him they will stay in the room and probably also examine you. This is the same thing. Next time you go to the bank the person sitting at that desk may very well be that young man. Honestly, I seldom understand people and all this secrecy. Trust me - he doesn't care - he's just trying to learn his job.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I expect to see all privacy laws including HIPPA go out the window.  That way special interests can send you solicitations about your specific medical conditions.  Looser banking regs are already in the works.   Brace yourselves. 

I understand, but I don't want this to become a political discussion.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Respected Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

Actuallly, I think you mean HIPAA.

And I would have put my foot down and insisted that the other person leave. And kept insisting until it was done.

Everyone has a right to financial privacy. I would go see this banker and address the issue of privacy in person. And be firm about it, regardless of the banker's "reason."

Yes, thank you ... My bad.

Super Contributor

@151949  My doctors always makes it a  point to ask for permission for a medical student, intern,resident whoever to sit in and watch...and sometimes to exam me...there have been times when I say no...the timing is off..but most of the time because I have acute intermittent porphyria I let them in....due to the rareness of the disease...I may be the only one they ever see....but it is up to me... If the OP's mom was uncomfortable with someone else being in the room...they should have honored her request....mom is the customer..paying for this service..

Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

If you go to the doctor and he has a med student or an intern with him they will stay in the room and probably also examine you. This is the same thing. Next time you go to the bank the person sitting at that desk may very well be that young man. Honestly, I seldom understand people and all this secrecy. Trust me - he doesn't care - he's just trying to learn his job.

@151949 ... When you go to the doctor, you have every right to ask the medical student or intern to leave the room. Yes, that is how they learn, but you do not have to agree to have them present when the doctor examines you. In fact, the doctor is supposed to ask if it is OK to have someone else observe or examine you.

I'm just wondering if there is some Federal law that extends that right to the banking industry too. There are plenty of people who want their privacy respected when they are with their doctor or banker.