Honored Contributor

How does one go about  adding a signature to a post ? TIA.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor
Under your name above, click on to "My Settings". the Personal profile under E mail see Personal Information Click on that You see part way down the list, "Signature" Type in what you want and then go down and Save. Back out and go to your postings.
Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:
Under your name above, click on to "My Settings". the Personal profile under E mail see Personal Information Click on that You see part way down the list, "Signature" Type in what you want and then go down and Save. Back out and go to your postings.

@qualitygal Thank you so much, I thought I checked everything, but sometimes the " kitty " needs help. Thanks again.😺

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

It's better to have your signature line as 'italics'.  

Reason: There's nothing more awkward than a confident, 'my opinion is my own' type of signature line when it's attached to a controversial type of post.  Their comment takes on a while different meaning. Having the sig line in italics would eliminate any question...and it looks prettier. 😀

Honored Contributor

I agree with @sidsmom that it's really helpful to do something to distinguish your signature line from the body of your posts.    It's an odd system deficiency (in my opinion) that this isn't done automatically by the forum software.

Here's some basic info about formatting the signature line. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~

To italicize, precede the signature with <em> and end it with </em>.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
           If you want the signature in bold, precede it with <b>  and add </b> at the end.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
          If you want the signature in colors, precede the signature with

<font color="nameofcolor">

and fill in the color's actual name between those quotation marks.

Here's a link to all the "color names":

http://www.w3schools.com/colors/colors_names.asp

~~~~~~~~~~

As an example, my signature -- in my settings -- is:

<font color="black"><em>He drew a circle that shut me out. Heretic, rebel, a thing to flout. But Love and I had the wit to win: We drew a circle that took him in. ~Markham </em></font>

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

I agree with @sidsmom that it's really helpful to do something to distinguish your signature line from the body of your posts.    It's an odd system deficiency (in my opinion) that this isn't done automatically by the forum software.

Here's some basic info about formatting the signature line. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~

To italicize, precede the signature with <em> and end it with </em>.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you want the signature in bold, precede it with <b>  and add </b> at the end.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you want the signature in colors, precede the signature with

<font color="nameofcolor">

and fill in the color's actual name between those quotation marks.

Here's a link to all the "color names":

http://www.w3schools.com/colors/colors_names.asp

~~~~~~~~~~

As an example, my signature -- in my settings -- is (as of today, 7/20/16):

<font color="black"><em>He drew a circle that shut me out. Heretic, rebel, a thing to flout. But Love and I had the wit to win: We drew a circle that took him in. ~Markham </em></font>

@dooBdoo

What if you just want your ding dang signature to stay put?  Every time I log off mine vanishes and I either do without it, or re-enter it.  

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@dooBdoo

What if you just want your ding dang signature to stay put?  Every time I log off mine vanishes and I either do without it, or re-enter it.  

Hi, @Drythe!   Are you sure you clicked "SAVE" after you added the siggy?   Also, under Preferences-->Preference Options did you check "View signatures in posts" so you can see the siggies when you're logged in?   Another thing...  if you're using any of the HTML code there might be something amiss with that, so you might initially try a siggy without any code to see if it stays put.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo

I'm glad you recognize the issue by not customizing the signature line!

Story:

Wish I would remember the poster...but it wasn't too long ago.

There was a 'hot' topic & when they responded,

I read their sig line as part of the conversation.  

I immediately had 'raised eyebrow' & thought 'maaaan, that was gutsy!!'

and yep, that post was immediately deleted.   The poster came back

with a 'why did they delete my post?!!'...with the same sig line, but then understood what had happened!   I felt bad for that particular poster, but hindsight, I understood why the mods deleted.  Perfect storm, as you will.

Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@dooBdoo

Hi, @Drythe!   Are you sure you clicked "SAVE" after you added the siggy?   Also, under Preferences-->Preference Options did you check "View signatures in posts" so you can see the siggies when you're logged in?   Another thing...  if you're using any of the HTML code there might be something amiss with that, so you might initially try a siggy without any code to see if it stays put.

@dooBdoo

Thank you.  Yes - view siggy is checked

No HTML code at all

It stays on when I go back and add and save it.  But once I log off it's gone until I add & save it again.

Thank you for your suggestions.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Drythe wrote:

@dooBdoo

Thank you.  Yes - view siggy is checked

No HTML code at all

It stays on when I go back and add and save it.  But once I log off it's gone until I add & save it again.

Thank you for your suggestions.

I'm sorry this is happening, @Drythe.   How frustrating.   Probably "captain obvious" here, but evidently something is clearing the entry in the signature field when you log out.

Question:  When you log back in and look at your settings, does the signature field appear to be completely empty or do you see anything there?

I wonder if there's some kind of embedded code.   Another question:   Are you using copy/paste to enter the signature?    Copying, or using any special characters or even icons/emoticons might be adding a control character that's invisible to the eye but zaps the entry when you sign off.   There also might be something saved in your browser that's causing a problem.

You might try these steps:
--log out of your Community account
--clear all browser cookies/cache/data
--quit the browser and then relaunch it
--completely remove everything (empty spaces, and all) from your signature, by selecting everything in the box and deleting it all, and click "SAVE"
--log out again, clear browser cookies/cache/data, quit and relaunch browser
--sign in and add a very simple signature by manually typing it in, do not use copy/paste, and do not add any special characters, symbols, HTML, or emoticons
--click "SAVE"
--look at your posts to see if it's displayed, then log out of the Community and sign in again to see if the siggy is still there

It would be good to know if this is a problem others have seen.   I'll add a couple of the Q Social Team names in case they've heard of this or want to forward the problem to the IT support group.

@Eva-QVC @Barbara-QVC @Susan-QVC @Beth-QVC @Wayne-QVC @Melvin-QVC