Honored Contributor

Re: Question for Moderators please

@Shanus wrote:

@Moonchilde I'm sure plenty of those vacuum cleaners don't sell, but they are still in inventory and offered in shows.

I'm not being an apologist for QVC. Whether people feel it's a *valid* excuse or not, since they're a retailer, it would be their natural excuse. It would be the natural excuse from any retailer - it didn't sell, we're not ordering more.  The vacuum cleaners in inventory were already bought. If those don't sell, they won't order more of them.

Right or wrong, ethically or morally, is a separate issue than pure finance.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde. Thanks for the explanation. In other words, this could go on forever and never there never be an agreement or disagreement on how "things" should be handled. In that case, I bow out. Much better things to do.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shanus wrote:

To be clear, are we saying religion, politics and other topics that may cause a heated discussion should not be allowed on the boards?

Are we also saying that all religious items and anything controversial should not be sold and/or discussed  by hosts on air?

@Shanus, I think the Standards answers your first question. They do not want any controversial topics that can become heated; religion and politics are the two that tend to go in that direction. That's why some don't allow them at family gatherings. :-)

To your second question, I didn't see anyone suggesting that QVC shouldn't sell items of faith -- other than issue of exclusion/inclusion. But IMO, it should be done with grace (pun intended) and always about the item at hand. I do not think that the hosts should start getting into prayer mode or sermonizing. And yes, I have seen that happen.

As for the thread that used to be in Among Friends (after it was moved from the old Viewpoints forum that morphed into this CC forum), I understood that the OP was told to stop C/P'ing without including her source. In any case, the rules changed thereafter, and religious threads such as hers are no longer allowed.

If as the mod here stated, posters are welcome to ask for prayers or tell others that they will pray for them, I don't see what other religious comments need to be made on a shopping channel's forums. There are other sites, other groups, places of worship, and of course quiet and personal worship as well.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Valued Contributor

They will not allow political or religious discussion because people cannot discuss those things without a fight breaking out.

They sell religious jewelery because it sells.  They don't have to argue anything during their presentation.  They are allowed to give their point of view on religion. 

It's fine with me.