Occasional Contributor

Hello, I don’t visit Pinterest very often, especially in the last year or so.  However, when I do get on Pinterest occasionally, I notice that there are things posted there from people whom I don’t know, and I guess from their boards, many of which don’t interest me. 

Here’s my question: Does Pinterest automatically assign people to your account for you to Follow?  During my infrequent visits on Pinterest, I spend so much time “unfollowing” either people or most of their boards that I didn’t ask to “follow” in the first place. 

I just don’t understand who all these people are and why their board pins are showing on my page when I open my page up each time.  I hope this makes sense. Thank you.

Respected Contributor

Re: Question about Pinterest

Sorry I can't answer your question, but what a coincidence!  I just was at Pinterest for the first time in ages and was wondering why it seemed the same person's name was on everything.  I came back here, and this is the first thing I saw.  I spent about one minute there and remembered why I quit.

Respected Contributor

@Bamabaskets wrote:

Hello, I don’t visit Pinterest very often, especially in the last year or so.  However, when I do get on Pinterest occasionally, I notice that there are things posted there from people whom I don’t know, and I guess from their boards, many of which don’t interest me. 

Here’s my question: Does Pinterest automatically assign people to your account for you to Follow?  During my infrequent visits on Pinterest, I spend so much time “unfollowing” either people or most of their boards that I didn’t ask to “follow” in the first place. 

I just don’t understand who all these people are and why their board pins are showing on my page when I open my page up each time.  I hope this makes sense. Thank you.

I would like to know that too. I think they might because right now they have me following 18 people that I have never looked at. I just left it like that but I should look just in case they have me following some weirdos lolSmiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

they do now post pins that are "picked for you" or "promoted by....." , depending on what you have pinned yourself or liked. i am not sure if there is a way to stop it or not.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

They email me different pins and pinners to similar items I have looked at on my acct.  I just a few minutes ago looked at the pins for the "King Cake" and I am sure the next time I get on there will be a few pins regarding king cakes.

I love pinterest.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@Bamabaskets wrote:

I signed up so long ago that I can't remember everything, but I can say that if you connect it to another social media account, like Facebook, all of your Facebook friends are automatically added and followed. If you have a Facebook friend who joins Pinterest 6 months from now, you'll get a message saying your friend has joined and you'll automatically follow each other. I have no idea how it behaves if it isn't linked to other social media.

Many other applications do this and I find it more annoying than useful.

Honored Contributor

you may want to go into your account settings and change some of them.

there are two that stand out..... mine are set to YES

Use sites you visit to improve which recommendations and ads you see • Learn more

Use information from our partners to improve which recommendations and ads you see • Learn more

also check out the notifications settings.....there are some that you might want to click NO on.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

They suggest pins to me depending on what I have looked at but they have never pinned anything to any of my boards.

Honored Contributor

@Bamabaskets@CelticCrafter@sunshine45@ChynnaBlue@beckyb1012

Pinterest opens automatically to a "home" page which continuously shows you pictures you might possibly like. This page is present in many other sites of this nature.

If you want to see YOUR bulletin boards specifically, click on the little picture of you. This takes you to your collections.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@Bamabaskets@CelticCrafter@sunshine45@ChynnaBlue@beckyb1012

Pinterest opens automatically to a "home" page which continuously shows you pictures you might possibly like. This page is present in many other sites of this nature.

If you want to see YOUR bulletin boards specifically, click on the little picture of you. This takes you to your collections.

thanks @LTT1

yes, i am aware of all of that......but i do follow people and businesses and that is where their posts show up, on my home page. it used to be EXCLUSIVELY just the people i followed. now it is including the items i mentioned in my post. i personally dont mind it because i find a lot of great recipes, drinks, and ideas from their suggestions.