Super Contributor

Re: Question About Social Security

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

@topcat10  Since you have professional knowledge in the area of Social Security benefits, mind if I ask you a question?

On the Social Security website under "F&Q Home" it states:

"You cannot create a my Social Security account online if you have a security freeze, fraud alert, or both on your credit report.  You must first ask our Identity Services Provider to remove the freeze or alert.

To create a my Social Security account in person without removing the security freeze or fraud alert, visit your Social Security office."

In order to start SS benefits, can a person file online (create a my Social Security online account) without first removing a credit freeze or fraud alert?  TIA for your time to respond, DEEP

Hey, then yes that is different....you would have to remove the freeze in order to create the "myssa" account and apply thru that account....now if you do not want to remove it and do not want to go into your local SSA, you can still apply online, but just be aware that it will alert SSA that it is "fraud" and then someone from SSA will be calling to authenticate the claim....hope that makes sense.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

g If you are already on MediCaid, I believe you become "dual-eligible"

and are covered by both programs.

Ive seen the TV commercials, asking, "do you have both MediCare and MediCaid

coverage? If so, YOU may be eligible  for one of our Plans...." etc.

Honored Contributor

@Hoovermom the answer to your question is yes.

If you make more than a certain amount the premium for Part B will increase.

Regular Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

@NicksmomESQ  If he plans to keep working and contributing, that may cause his benefit to change/increase over time.

That's not true.  At 70 he would be fully vested in his Social Security.  I believe he must take it at 70. Yes, he can continue to work and Social Security won't be reduced because he's still drawing a paycheck.  He can draw full Social Security and make as much money working as he wants.

Esteemed Contributor

@topcat10   @Carmie  & all my friends who were kind enough to help.

I called Social Security to make an appointment for DH to go in & sign up for benefits.As you may recall we have a security freeze on our credit so we cannot do it on line.

We got through right away!! The woman I spoke to said there was no need to go to a SS office in person.She set up a telephone appointment for the beginning of May.A SS representative will call DH. She just told us to have our bank account & routing # available for direct deposit.That was very easy!!

I just wanted to share my experience to help others who can’t apply on line & who may not find it convenient to visit an office. I had no idea you could make a telephone appointment!!

Respected Contributor

@NicksmomESQ , yay that it was easy to set up a phone appt. And yay that in addition to enrolling, you will be able to get answers to questions from SS directly, rather from a shopping forum which has lots of incorrect info. IMO, going to the source is best.