Respected Contributor

Re: QVC ONE MINUTE OF SILENCE

@Sooner wrote:

For QVC or a business, I don't think it is appropriate.  How do you decide what to do this for?  Whose tragedy rates, whose doesn't?  

I also think it is time we stopped lowering the flag.  There is not a way to determine when this is done, so to me, it should only be done maybe for the death of a president.  We lower the stars and stripes now sometimes when I think if anything it should be flying higher.  

Not trying to be mean, but I don't know how we decide what to do things for like this now.  Floods?  Hurricanes?  VIolence (where, how many, etc?)?  I guess I feel like there are too many to decide and rate them for importance, so it might be best to stop.

NOT that we should not reflect and honor those victims, but just maybe not the flag lowered.  Keep the stars and stripes flying for hope for us all.

How about trying this for a change. 

Instead of #itching and moaning and looking at everything in a negative light, try taking that moment of silence and thanking whatever higher power you believe in for the safety of yourself and your family.

there is no need to try to put one tragedy higher than another. There is no need to play this utterly childish game. It makes you sound small and bitter. I'm tired. Tired of being sad. Tired of tragedy. Tired of suffering. Tired of churlish complaints about insignificant things.

Let people and this country grieve. We have way too much to grieve for right now.

Esteemed Contributor

Gosh...I thought for sure I posted on this thread earlier.  Woman Indifferent

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

What QVC did was nice imo.  Unfortunately that wasn't true everywhere. 

One minute of silence includes bowing one's head and closing one's eyes for those who are Christian.  Unfortunately, that didn't happen today when it should have.

Esteemed Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

What QVC did was nice imo.  Unfortunately that wasn't true everywhere. 

One minute of silence includes bowing one's head and closing one's eyes for those who are Christian.  Unfortunately, that didn't happen today when it should have.

Who or what are you referring to here? I don't watch network news so IDK what you are referencing.

Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

Today, The Talk devoted their entire hour to the tragedy and had no guests on.

Wow, how generous of them!! Woman Frustrated

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

For QVC or a business, I don't think it is appropriate.  How do you decide what to do this for?  Whose tragedy rates, whose doesn't?  

I also think it is time we stopped lowering the flag.  There is not a way to determine when this is done, so to me, it should only be done maybe for the death of a president.  We lower the stars and stripes now sometimes when I think if anything it should be flying higher.  

Not trying to be mean, but I don't know how we decide what to do things for like this now.  Floods?  Hurricanes?  VIolence (where, how many, etc?)?  I guess I feel like there are too many to decide and rate them for importance, so it might be best to stop.

NOT that we should not reflect and honor those victims, but just maybe not the flag lowered.  Keep the stars and stripes flying for hope for us all.

Seriously?? I disagree so much I'm sitting here shaking my head in disbelief that someone would think this way. 

"Pure Michigan"
Valued Contributor

Of course you are entitled to your opinion @Sooner, I happen to believe the "WORST MASS SHOOTING IN AMERICAN HISTORY" deserves a moment of silence. 

Respected Contributor

...I still remember when QVC went off the air during 9/11. 

To me, it shows a human side....I also remember when they came back on air. There was no political talk whatsoever, but producers and hosts acknowledged the stress we were all feeling and geared programming to home life and doing things that were comforting-like cooking.

I can also appreciate that they are accepting donations on behalf of the American Red Cross.

Poodlepet2

Respected Contributor

@Sooner  The lowering of the flag is at the request of the president.  At my office, my department takes care of the lowering and raising (and replacing when needed).  There is a website that will notify you via email whenever the flag needs to be lowered.  Search "half-staff flag" and you will find it and they will send free notifications.  

IMO, lowering the flag is not a chore, it shows respect for the situations, whether it is the death of a president or in respect of those killed and injured as in the recent Las Vegas tragedy.  

I also display a flag in front of my house.  My father is a veteran and I am proud to display my country's flag.

......You look like I need a drink.....
Trusted Contributor

A tragedy such as this should bring us together as a people, ONE. NOT divide us over the lowering of the flag. 

Think of those lost and injured and not petty ideals. 

💔💔💔