Esteemed Contributor

The parent company of QVC has agreed to buy rival Home Shopping Network for $2.1 billion in stock. Liberty Interactive Corp. already owns 38 percent of HSNi and the deal announced Thursday includes the remaining 62 percent.

HSN shareholders will receive 1.65 shares of QVC’s stock for each share of HSN. Being that HSN’s stock closed Wednesday at $40.36, the deal price is equivalent to a 29 percent premium.

Liberty said the acquisition would have various benefits, including increased scale and competitive position for QVC, “meaningful synergies through cost reduction and revenue growth opportunities,” optimized programming across five U.S. networks and “cross marketing to better engage existing and potential customers.”

Liberty Interactive President and CEO Greg Maffei said in a statement that the two home shopping networks combined each year to produce over 55,000 hours of shoppable video content. He said the value of QVC, HSNi and zulily, the Seattle-based e-commerce company Liberty bought in August 2015 for $2.6 billion, will be enhanced further later this year when QVC Group becomes an asset-backed stock as part of the previously announced split-off of Liberty Ventures.

More at bizjournals.com

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor

NO!!!!!!! 

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Honored Contributor

I thought that happened a long time ago 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

Interesting news. Will have to see how this changes HSN. 

Respected Contributor

@butterfly123 wrote:

@butterfly123....that is what I am afraid of.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Honored Contributor

I was just reading about this on Fox Business News, very interesting to see what happens!

Honored Contributor

Wow, I don't do a lot of shopping anymore but I do enjoy watching many shows on HSN as opposed to QVC.  Whatever happened to anti-trust laws?

For me, this is a bummer.

Honored Contributor

Re: QVC Buys HSN

[ Edited ]

@catwhisperer wrote:

@butterfly123 wrote:

@catwhisperer @Hooty

I understand that the two shopping channels have very different programming, target age groups, the game arcade, and several other differences. Hopefully this will be taken into consideration.

Trusted Contributor

@catwhisperer wrote:

@butterfly123 wrote:

@catwhisperer wrote:

@butterfly123 wrote:

Me too!

Honored Contributor

Great... Now HSN will have a non working website too.....