Honored Contributor

I've read tons of books by ballet dancers and about ballet and nowhere can I find the answer: Why are they called "boys and girls" by dance masters, etc.

Also, why for any dance routine does the count start out "5, 6, 7, 8" ?

Any help appreciated.

Respected Contributor

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-dancers-begin-counting-on-beat-5

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Super Contributor

I was in a line dance group for many years. The steps where always an 8 count. Once you got to eight you started over at step one. Starting out 5,6,7,8 allows you to get ready to start the dance at step 1. It's especially important when you have several people doing the same dance at the same time.  I don't have a clue to the boys and girls thing.

Honored Contributor

My girls danced for years.

My oldest danced for 13 years.  There was no way I was ever going to agree for them to become professional dancers.

I knew they were pretty good but that’s not good enough to be a real dancer.  Plus it ruins their feet.

Dancers are real althletes.  They don’t get the acclaim for their physical ability like they should.

Respected Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 @I agree that dancers are awesome athletes..my oldest dgd is at the top of her game. Her speciality is tapping..I cannot believe what her feet can do. 

She danced at a studio in LA last year and the students..most who were young adults were referred to as boys and girls.

Honored Contributor

@sydsgma1  I’m clapping for your dgd.  My iPad kept correcting me!  Anyway, my girls all took ballet, toe, tap, jazz and a few other things.  Ha!

I never let them forget the hours I sat as they went to dance class!  Ha!

But of all of them, I thought tapp was the most difficult.  The minute I read your post in my head I heard “shuffle ball...change”. Phew!

We spent zillions of dollars on dance costumes.  Count this out 4 classes...4 costumes for 3 kids for 13 years!  Each costume was at least or around $75 !

Its like wedding dresses, worn once then put away.  They’re all up in the attic.  My husband wouldn’t let me give them away.  Now my 6 granddaughters are too old to play in them.

Once my grandson found a dress from the Frozen movie one of the girls had.  He came out wearing it ( wand and all).  We all clapped as he waved his want to fix us.

My son-in-law said “ He’s thinking he’s like a super hero fixing everyone”.  We all said in unison, “Who cares...he looks great”.  Then I said, “ This is going to be a great picture for when he gets married”.  Straight...Gay...we never care in our family.  We have some of everything and everyone...

Honored Contributor

@Veridoc Thank you, that makes perfect sense.

As a 5 year old I took tap and tumbling classes for a few months until my parents couldn't afford it. I LOVED tap dancing. I still miss those tap shoes.

I've always admired ballet dancers. I've read a lot about what they and their feet go through. It's not an easy life.

Respected Contributor

@Annabellethecat66  My dgd dances competitively and this year her solo costume will be around $300. Her speciality tap shoes are over $100. That does not include costumes and shoes for her performing line..lol.  And yes every costume she has ever worn is stored.

but it is so much fun to watch the dances.

Esteemed Contributor

The 5-6-7-8 count sets the tempo. The musical phrase, in a lot of cases, happens over 2 measures of common meter: 4/4 common time. Two measures of common time are equal to 8 total beats. Rather than count out the entire 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8, the instructor needs only to count out one measure - in order to set the tempo.