Esteemed Contributor

Macy's will close the Seattle downtown store in Feb 2020.

I guess it's really not much of a surprise. Macy's like a lot of retailers are downsizing and the Seattle downtown store will be closing at the end of February 2020.

From the Seattle Times:

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/macys-is-closing-its-landmark-downtown-seattle-store/

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Macy's will close the Seattle downtown store in Feb 2020.

[ Edited ]

@TY , the last couple of times I was in Macy’s, I was looking at bedding which I found really expensive.  It is sad to see the anchor stores go.

I did a trip to NH this week.  The store that I think has really gone downhill is Target.  Remember their brief stint in Canada?  They went bankrupt here.  The clothing they stocked in Canada was like what I found in NH this trip.  Cheap looking, flimsy, no structure.  LM

Honored Contributor

Sad news.....KMart, yes, expected but Macy's.  But then Sears was an anchor store too and has closed their doors.  Online shopping has changed our shopping habits and it is inevitable that stores will be effected.

Respected Contributor

Macy’s is nothing like Macy’s used to be.

Rarely shop online there either. Once in awhile for a bra or a pair of shoes.

I remember when Macy’s was my favorite place to shop for years,

I could spend hours in just that one store back then,

-Texas Hill Country-
Esteemed Contributor

@TY 

I hate seeing these stores closing, but, admittedly, I haven't shopped inside a store in a long time.  

When I was younger, it was wonderful to browse the fancy stores.  As time passed, I just didn't want to take the time.  

Yes, online shopping has changed a lot.  But, I'm sad to see the anchor stores disappearing.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes - Macy's was once my favorite store. I picked up an online order at a 'Prairie Village' store recently. Quaint, mature neighborhood near metro urban area. Only a few cars in the parking lot. More employees than shoppers. Sad. My first job as a senior in HS was Macy's. I noticed a Coldwater Creek shop popped up in my area. Gone for a few years, then revived. I won't even go into JC Penneys now. Outdated inventory with lots of sale tables.        

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

There are few stores ,that have good quality clothes ,  i can say i have not shopped macys in store for a long time, i simply do not do malls, i do like target ,not for clothes ,but other things.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@phoenixbrd  

It not just online competition....JMHO Macys did this to themselves....poor Exec management.... 

Poor Store and Department Managers and employees don't seem to care.  It takes hard work and long hours in retail to be a success and Macys doesnt seem to do their due deligence (I have relatives that worked in the  upper management jobs in retail).....

Even at the "gucci mall" with all the high priced retailers, you would think the store would be in tip top shape, BUT  Macy stores are all so junky---I thought I had stepped into a Ross Store....the stores layout is funky, they separated clothing based on size, separate floors, petites are separarted from regular clothes on a totally different floor, clothes are thrown all over the floor, dirty dressing rooms,  some of the long racks of clothes are so jammed packed its hard to go through them to see what they have. Sales people on their phones or chatting with one another....their prices and sales arent that great....Same story at other locations too...No wonder sales are down.....

Dillards is their equivalent and the Dillards stores are always clean, clothes displayed nicely, dressing rooms are clean, great sales and a variety of prices and merchandise....Sales people helpful.....Now where would you chose to shop between the two---Macys or Dillards??

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Trusted Contributor

Macy's in Manhattan was a zoo for decades. It was a miserable shopping experience,  but, there was no online shopping in the 70s, 80s, 90s (and before).  Messy, no help, very long check-out lines -- if you could even find any register open. Most would be sitting there abandoned. 

More recently, I  order online and pick up.  I have noticed that the store seems to be more inviting, lately. But, I dont know if there's any sales help, as I just use the pick-up line -- which was also a mess until recently when they put a better system in place. 

Respected Contributor

Maybe it's my area but Macy*s stopped running TV ads for their One Day Sales.    And the last time they mailed a sale flyer was for F&F in April.

granted i buy little from them and do not use macy charge.   their merch has gone downhill and the stores are grungy.