Honored Contributor

Dh and I are big coffee drinkers, and we would never drink instant coffee.  It just does not have a good taste.  You can purchase a 4 cup coffee pot that is small and takes up very little space...probably $20.00 or so and buy a small container of 'real' coffee and keep it in your freezer.

I do not like Starbuck's coffee, it is very strong, but I have never had the single serve packets.

Trusted Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

Another thing to keep in mind about Starbucks coffee - instant or brewed - people either love it or hate it. So if all your guests love it you're home free. Personally I would rather go without unless we're talking PSL or frappuccino. Many people dislike the taste of Starbucks brewed coffees.

@Moonchilde I'm with you, I do not like Starbucks coffee.  If I were offered Starbucks, I would decline and drink water.  We order most of our coffee, we always drink flavored.

@shoptheQ  I would agree you could invest in a cheap drip coffeemaker and a good brand of coffee.  You could send the remaining coffee home with a guest and store in coffeemaker until next time.

Trusted Contributor

A better solution for you, @shoptheQ, may be a Melitta cone, #2 paper filter or #4 filter depending on cone size, 2 tsp coffee, and 1 1/2 cups of boiling water to drip through. You just position the cone on top of the coffee mug. You may need to adjust your water amount to fill your particular coffee mug.

I've been drinking my coffee like this for a while now. There is not a hint of bitterness with this method and the coffee is delicious, way better than instant, for sure.

dee

Honored Contributor

@deedledeedeedle wrote:

A better solution for you, @shoptheQ, may be a Melitta cone, #2 paper filter or #4 filter depending on cone size, 2 tsp coffee, and 1 1/2 cups of boiling water to drip through. You just position the cone on top of the coffee mug. You may need to adjust your water amount to fill your particular coffee mug.

I've been drinking my coffee like this for a while now. There is not a hint of bitterness with this method and the coffee is delicious, way better than instant, for sure.

dee

This would make good coffee, but it would require a fair amount of boiling water from a kettle if she was making more than a single cup of coffee for more than 1-2 people. And she would have to throw the grounds out and start over again for guest #2. So - inexpensive and good, but maybe a bit more labor intensive per guest than the OP had in mind.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

The only coffee I buy for myself at home is Folgers Instant. Boil water in microwave/put in teaspoon or more of coffee/ mix and drink. I pour mine into my 16oz. Thermos Mug which keeps it hot for hours.

With my many visits to "my 2nd home(the hospital)", I bring my Thermos mug and fill it up with their very good tasting, and free, coffee. My wife has bought me Starbucks, and a Scooters, no thanks!  Can't stand either of them, and over $3 for a 12oz. cup of black coffee? Please, and no thank you.

Best I have ever drank in my life? I worked at a Drive-in Restaurant in the 1950's, and they had by far the best I have ever tasted.

If you friends are coffee snobs, the ones that say "I can only drink my $6 cup of Starbucks? Offer them a glass of milk or ice water. They can always blow their money at Starbucks later.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@deedledeedeedle wrote:

dee

Yes, YES!

Melitta makes better coffee than any other way imo, and I have tried many ways to make coffee.

It's so simple: cone, filter, water that has been brought to a boil, and fine ground coffee.  A cone is only a few dollars and lasts.

It comes out so pure, and you are right, not bitter. I add more coffee than you but that's just personal taste 😀

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@deedledeedeedle wrote:

dee

This would make good coffee, but it would require a fair amount of boiling water from a kettle if she was making more than a single cup of coffee for more than 1-2 people. And she would have to throw the grounds out and start over again for guest #2. So - inexpensive and good, but maybe a bit more labor intensive per guest than the OP had in mind.

It's easy to make it over a carafe, I know people who do that, no extra work at all.  I've done it a couple of times.  For just the two of us, We make each cup individually, that's why it comes out perfect every time.

We have an electric hot pot we use every day, it heats up quickly.  Before we got that I just heated the water in the microwave.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@deedledeedeedle wrote:

dee

It's easy to make it over a carafe, I know people who do that, no extra work at all.  I've done it a couple of times.  For just the two of us, We make each cup individually, that's why it comes out perfect every time.

We have an electric hot pot we use every day, it heats up quickly.  Before we got that I just heated the water in the microwave.

You're right - but the OP said she wanted simple no muss, no fuss for only occasional company as no one in her household drinks coffee.

It depends on whether the OP wants to buy and store a cone, filters, a carafe and a bag of coffee in her cupboard for those occasional users. Since she seemed happy to hear of instant packets, it would seem she might not be into keeping any paraphernalia around.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all