Respected Contributor

Lower Your Interest Rate Scams

[ Edited ]

These people are vile. I am getting bombarded lately, many using international numbers. I just had one of these calls, and after blocking about 10 numbers in two days, finally pushed 1, got a skunk from Hungary and told him I thought he was one for preying on people. He calls back on another number, with my phone identifying it as coming from Hungary. I let it go, did not answer, and it goes to voicemail. He left me a filthy message worthy of a shock jock. At first it shocked me and then I got the giggles. He is trying to rob me of my money and charge cards, gets called on it, and then lashes out like a little kid who learned some bad words. There is no he!! hot enough for these people, especially when they think they have an older, gullible woman or man to scam.

Just a soap box moment, but please ask any of your older family members or friends to consult with a trusted person about giving out financial information to phone solicitors. There are so many variations. I typed out a reminder of things to ask or say to any callers with financial offers for my mom to keep by her phone. They always hung up and she stayed safe.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Lower Your Interest Rate Scams

I know the feeling.  I was gettting the screaming IRS calls, when I have owed money to the IRS and I can confirm, they DON'T CALL YOUR HOUSE.

When they really want your attention, they send you a letter via certified mail.

I am lucky that I purchased one of those phones from HSN that can BLOCK numbers and I block all the unknown, blocked, unavailable, and the scammers who call on random cell phone numbers.

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Honored Contributor

I sometimes like to play with them so I will answer the call.My favorite is to say that I am so glad they called because I am stuck at home with explosive diarrhea and no one will stop by.I then try to tell them how many trips I have made to the bathroom and the color of my productions and should I see a doctor...they always hang up.

Trusted Contributor

@dex LOOOOOOOOOOOOOL OMG I am laughing so hard my cheeks hurt LOOOOOL. OMG that is sooo funny. LOL I will have to try that one next time a scammer calls me. LOL

Honored Contributor

Thanks for the heads up.  I'll have to tell my husband.  He tends on the gullible side.

So tired of unwanted phone calls!   Mine seem to have decreased lately.    But I keep on blocking the ones I get.  Still drives me nuts.  Glad to have new phones with a 'block' button on them, so it's less stressful.  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I have Nomorobo on my home phone, with AT&T U-Verse.  Telemarketing and computer dialed calls are blocked after one ring.  Even if it rings more than once, I still let it go into the answerer, at which point they hang up.  I never answer my phone unless I recognize the ID.  The more you pick up the phone, the more they will call because they know they have a live fish.

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

I wish I could get my mother-in-law to stop answering numbers that she doesn't recognize.  

What is the point of having Caller ID if she's answering it anyway.

Her excuse is what if it's someone I know.  Well then if it's that important they will leave a message for you and you can return the call.

Honored Contributor

@2blonde wrote:

I have Nomorobo on my home phone, with AT&T U-Verse.  Telemarketing and computer dialed calls are blocked after one ring.  Even if it rings more than once, I still let it go into the answerer, at which point they hang up.  I never answer my phone unless I recognize the ID.  The more you pick up the phone, the more they will call because they know they have a live fish.

There are still those that call to see if anyone is home. I always answer, mainly to enjoy myself, also for anyone thinking nobody is home.

Never had a scammer leave a voice mail for me, why would they? 

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Valued Contributor

A few months ago I started getting those scam IRS calls on my cell.  I finally decided to beat them at their own game.  A call came through with a man telling me I had to wire money IMMEDIATELY or give him a credit card or debit card NOW or I would be arrested.  I calmly said to him, "that's interesting.  I wasn't aware that we were in arrears with the IRS.  I'm going to call my husband at work now and have him call you back.  He's always busy as he works for the FBI in the fraud division bureau, but I'm sure he'll make time to talk to you."  The guy hung up on me so fast it would make your head spin.   Since then, no more scam IRS phone calls - lol!

Formerly Posted as LuLuBelle

Remember to Spay and Neuter your Pets

Honored Contributor

@2blonde wrote:

I have Nomorobo on my home phone, with AT&T U-Verse.  Telemarketing and computer dialed calls are blocked after one ring.  Even if it rings more than once, I still let it go into the answerer, at which point they hang up.  I never answer my phone unless I recognize the ID.  

*The more you pick up the phone, the more they will call because they know they have a live fish.*

THIS ^^^

We get a lot of calls where no one ever says a word - they're just fishing for live numbers. If you let it go to a recording and NEVER pick up unless it's a local area code, the stress pretty much disappears. They almost never leave a voicemail, they just recognize a machine and hang up, so you don't have to hear from them at all.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all