Honored Contributor

For those who have a hard time purging, here's a tip:

Before you begin:

Call your PickUp Donation Center immediately to schedule a pickup.

THEN you're working towards a date/time.

"But they need a list of items"

You probably have a good idea what needs to go.

You can always update the list as the time grows nearer. 

Esteemed Contributor

I purge often too, but I'm due for a super purge. I have 3 sizes of clothes and need to think about this. Anything I did not wear last winter needs to go. Recently had a handbag and book purge. That felt good. 

Husband handled his parents' estate sale this weekend. They didn't want to pay someone and husband spent a lot of time pulling this together. While he was at work, his folks would go over to their home (from their new apartment) take off price tags and move items over to 'no sale.' Husband told them, once again, we're not storing this stuff for you - it doesn't make sense for you to pay for a storage unit and no one wants this stuff. Poor guy -- he's exhausted.     

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

Garage sales in my area are a waste of time, people want the items for nothing and it takes so much time to set up, advertise, etc. I donate anything I know I'm not going to wear and I don't let anything pile up.

Honored Contributor

@Preds wrote:

I've been trying to purge for a year and every time I walk in that room it scares me.  Who the devil bought all these clothes and shoes?  It multiples like rabbits.

Every time I think I've made a dent, it magically fills back up again.  Last year I have dozens of shoes and bags of clothes that I donated and right now I have two bags in my trunk and am working on the third one.  Still can't slide the clothes in the closet across the rail.  Unreal and stupid.

Congrats to you.

@Bri369  ... if you get bored, come on over and help yourself to the back bedroom.  Smiley Wink LOL

@Preds 

What I want to know is, WHO ARE the people who sneak into my closet and replace the nice clothes I loved with this tacky mess that neither fits nor flatters?

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

I recently purged our linen closets.  I had tons of old towels we no longer use and a few worn out blankets as well.  I took them to our local animal shelter and they were thrilled.  I also take our old newspapers there as well about once every six weeks.  They shred it and use it in the cages.  

Respected Contributor

I have about six large bags of clothing and shoes I am donating to an organization in our area.  They support the "Dressed for Success" programs and they are always thrilled to get gently used clothing.  A couple of my donated items still had price tags on them.  I have lost 35 pounds this year and I am determined NOT to purchase too many clothing items.  We are retired and live a casual lifestyle.  I do have a few nice outfits for special occasions and church.  I think I read somewhere we wear 20% of our clothing 80% of the time.  

I also purged our kitchen and got rid of appliances we no longer use but are in perfect condition.  Hubby boxed them up and took them our local Goodwill.

Esteemed Contributor

I just purged alot of my stash of Halloween Decorations. I had a few bins of stuff I no longer use.

I wish hubby would clean out the garage. I told my daughter to tell him she doesn't want anything and hopefully he will get rid of stuff.

Honored Contributor

OMgosh---we purged a TON of stuff from everyroom in our house this past year to move out into a rental while the house was under construction. Now am planning to move back in a few weeks and planning on doing the same. What a lot of work. We took many carloads to donation as well as had the blue truck come to the house to pick up ---a good feeling but where in the world......does so much come from----- I do really know the answer to that question  Woman Frustrated