Respected Contributor

Kudos to you. I am in awe.

Super Contributor

If you're a pet lover, please think of donating to your local humane societies, too, (including their thrift stores).  There are a couple that I donate to regularly here in Maryland that are close by.  I'd rather my donations go first to the animals and people second.  Just saying.

Honored Contributor

@PickyCindy wrote:

If you're a pet lover, please think of donating to your local humane societies, too.  There are a couple that I donate to regularly here in Maryland that are close by.  I'd rather my donations go first to the animals and people second.  Just saying.

Especially towels and blankets @PickyCindy .  Ours are always in need of those items.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

@Preds wrote:

@PickyCindy wrote:

If you're a pet lover, please think of donating to your local humane societies, too.  There are a couple that I donate to regularly here in Maryland that are close by.  I'd rather my donations go first to the animals and people second.  Just saying.

Especially towels and blankets @PickyCindy .  Ours are always in need of those items.

@Preds @PickyCindy  I agree! They always are in constant need of these. It’s a good thing.

Esteemed Contributor

I absolutely love this post! Because I love to shop, I take regular inventory of my belongings and donate things no longer in high favor, or that I just do not need. My children do not understand how I can just "give away" some of my more expensive items still in new or excellent condition. Although worded differently. I explain it to them just as you shared here. I bless others as I have been blessed. Thank you for this beautiful post!

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Contributor

I needed to read this!  I bought a couch 2.5 years ago and have not like it.  Just bought a new one over the weekend.  I have the "old" couch listed on some local selling sites, but I don't think I'll have any takers at the price that I want for it.  I think I might look for a family who needs a couch and give it to them.  Heaven knows with all the flooding we've had here in WI over the past few years, I'm sure I can find a home for it.

Respected Contributor

I go through twice a year & get rid of things but only donate unused or like new items. The Goodwill bin videos are eye opening, it's the last stop for a huge amount of unwanted donated goods before they go to the landfill...after seeing that I realized charities are paying lots of money for dumpsters & trash removal so if I don't think it will sell, I throw it away so they don't have to pay to throw it away. 

Esteemed Contributor

@kitcat51 wrote:

I go through twice a year & get rid of things but only donate unused or like new items. The Goodwill bin videos are eye opening, it's the last stop for a huge amount of unwanted donated goods before they go to the landfill...after seeing that I realized charities are paying lots of money for dumpsters & trash removal so if I don't think it will sell, I throw it away so they don't have to pay to throw it away. 

@kitcat51  I'm the same way.  I will not donate anything that is not in good shape and functional.  If I can't use it, why would I expect anyone else to.

Honored Contributor

@kitcat51 wrote:

I feel the same way about donating clothing.  If it's stained or stretched out of shape and I won't wear it why should I expect someone else to wear it.

Esteemed Contributor

@SandySparkles wrote:

I absolutely love this post! Because I love to shop, I take regular inventory of my belongings and donate things no longer in high favor, or that I just do not need. My children do not understand how I can just "give away" some of my more expensive items still in new or excellent condition. Although worded differently. I explain it to them just as you shared here. I bless others as I have been blessed. Thank you for this beautiful post!

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

@SandySparkles 

You stated it beautifully...

"I bless others as I have been blessed."

The blessings will come full circle back to you.