Super Contributor

Has your purchasing changed a lot this year since the pandemic and the economic situation?  I have a lot of friends now saying that they are not purchasing anything beyond essentials and others that have been spending like things are completely normal.  It's interesting to see how people are all approaching this time we are in diffrerently.

I am fortunate to be financially secure, but who knows what could happen in the world, so I'm focusing on saving as much as I can as extra backup.  I even think I am going to skip the Nordstrom anniversary sale this year which is one of my favorites times a year to shop.  Just doesn't feel right.

What is everyone else doing?

Respected Contributor

Re: Purchasing less in 2020?

@minimalistWF   I completely agree with you.

All of the events that I was going to attend have been cancelled for the rest of the year.  I will, most likely, be spending most of my time at home.

I stopped at Macy's this week to return some online purchases.  I was there around noon and the parking lot and store were close to empty.  I looked at a few things but nothing interested me.  It looks like they are caught between summer and fall. 

I am a big Nordstrom Anniversary sale person and will not be purchasing this year.  I am definitely cutting way back.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Honored Contributor

Not in monetary spending........but NOW I keep my "shopping list" on Amazon.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I have absolutely no desire to shop for anything but essentials.

In fact, I went to pay my Kohls charge today -- had $10 rewards exp. 7/31.  I walked the whole store "looking" for something to buy...tons of clothes clearance, housewares, shoes, etc. 

The only thing I saw was this cute topiary by Scott Brothers. Their lines is being "discontinued" and it's 50-80% off.  Picked it up omg it was $64 for a 9' silk plant😳!  No way would I pay $32 for it.

2572F8FB-AED9-4F26-BDFC-2C294C1CF916.jpeg

Gave my rewards to older couple in check out line who had basket full of kids clothes.  There was nothing I wanted or needed!

Respected Contributor

I’ve been purchasing way less as far as clothing.  With no place to go I don’t need anything.   But I purchased more for the house (painted the living room, dining room, kitchen and hallways and bought a couple new throw rugs). 

Trusted Contributor

My shopping/spending has drastically changed since the pandemic started. We've always been thrifty and careful how we spend our money, but do try and splurge now and then. We just celebrated our 45 Wedding Anniversay, so after all these years, we pretty much have everything we could ever need. In fact, we want to downsize quite a bit.

Other than the occasional Amazon order or quick trip for groceries, we really aren't spending much at all.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Buying more cleaning products,than ever,but clothes no, don't go anywhere ,but grocery store, bj's, walmart some times, did buy disposable masks.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

The only thing that I'm spending less on is travel. All of my trips, up until late October/early November have been canceled and I've not yet made a decision on that trip (and no, I'm not interested in opinions on whether I should go or not). My spending on dining out was less while restaurants were closed for dine-in service, but I did do a fair amount of take-out. 

Other than that, if I need it, I buy it. If I merely want it, it depends on a number of factors. But I've always been that way. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

We try to be prudent with discretionary spending, but I still shop here and there for home items.  Not shopping much for clothes as there simply has been less need with lockdowns and the aftermath.

We often get take-out on weekends, and have throughout the spring and summer, trying to support our local restaurants.

Our economy which was doing so well just a short while ago has been so gut-punched by pandemic.  As much as possible, we want to give once-thriving businesses a chance to climb back after forcible shut-downs. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes alot less. No shopping yet. I only go to get groceries and essentials.  I ordered a few of the essentials on Amazon and might need to order a few more things there. Cooking at home only, no clothes buying.